PCOS and dealing with the pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I'm 21 and was diagnosed with PCOS at 20, I'm not the stereotypical sufferer which still makes me wonder about misdiagnosis, I'm in the underweight section, I do have irregular periods but not where I miss them, I can have 1 one month, 2 the next, 3 on another, I have hairy arms but that's all on body hair, and my skin isn't too bad (heard acne is a problem with PCOS). Anyway that's what I've been told I have but the problem I have with it is the excruciating pain I'm in, it's making me physically sick, most months during my period I'm unable to move, eat, drink, even sit because the pain is so bad. I was on mefenamic acid but that stopped helping so they changed me to Neproxin, that has strange side effects. Are there any natural remedies people have found help? Herbal or otherwise. I'll do anything to stop this pain, I just want a 'normal' period where I can still go to work! Stupid thing is ruining my life because I never know when a period may come so I am constantly on edge just waiting for the pain! Any help is very greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Levs95,

Firstly I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing so much pain.

Could you just clarify a few things to help me understand your situation better. When you say you were diagnosed at 20, what tests did you have to get diagnosed? Did you have a blood test and an ultrasound scan?? If so do you remember the results etc. Does the naproxen help with your period pain? And what weird side effwct are you referring to? I suffer with bad cramps during periods and I never found ibuprofen or paracetamol helpful. I found that a hot water bottle (heat ) helps the pain and naproxen helps too.

I am not a stereotypical pcos sufferer either. I am tall and average built however I have other symptoms such as hirsutism over most of my body , thinning hair on my head and I have multiple cysts (on an ultrasound).

• Posted

Hey I had very similar problem and now I take Maca root extract tablets 500mg per tablet I take three a day, which is 1500mg per day. And pain is pretty much under control, still not completely normal but I can move around and get on with life!! Look into it! Hope this helps!
  • Posted

Hello! I also am not overweight, don't have bad acne, and am dealing with some excruciating pain. My period is very irregular, and I have pain all the time, not just when I am on my period. What may work for you though - is a form of birth control. This may make it so your periods only happen once a month, and also the hormone regulation may lessen your pain as well.  Have you tried Birth Control at all before? 

I hope that this is helpful to you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.