PCOS JUST DIAGONOSED, HEARTBROKEN

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All,

Just writing to see if anybody could offer any advice, I am completely devastated.

So firstly, I am 26 years old. Vegetarian, weight train 4 times a week, eat very healthy and in shape. I was on microgynon till I was 22 but came off to give my body a break, I happened to suffer with awful acne which I still suffer with now, I am SURE the effects of coming off the pill done this, a year later I started a progesterone pill which was no good due to horrific bleeding. I then got the copper coil fitted May 2017. Cut the story short, I have just been for a ultrasound as my acne has not cleared and my periods are not irregular but are 32-36 days and accompanied with spotting either side of cycle (approx 3 days before and after my 5 day cycle) anyway a few hours ago I literally found out I have polycystic ovaries, the sonographer was horrific, I didnt even have the chance to even say hello, was taken in room, test done, results handed to me with a information sheet. Both my left ovary and right ovary have came back 'Polycystic' 

Now this is the heartbreaking part, I am getting married August 2018 to my amazing supportive partner. I wanted to take my coil out JUST before wedding and try for a baby. But now with this news I am HORRIFIED, my plan to hopefully fall pregnant around the wedding has now been taken away from me. Now my predicament is, first thing is removing my coil which I am doing next Wednesday.

I just really dont know what to do next, do i start trying and risk being heavily pregnant on my wedding day (although PCOS has slimmed my chances) or do I have the wedding and risk go through the stress of taking ages to fall pregnant or possibly never falling pregnant. I just dont know what to do or how to feel sad

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi have  the same condition as you, it took me a long time to fall pregnant naturally the 1st & 2 nd time. A good 3/4 yrs. I would personally try now as it could take you a long time and if you fall pregnant straight away it will be fine. A wedding is just one day but a baby is forever x

• Posted

Hi Carlypj22 have you ever used ovulation tests while trying to conceive? How often do you ovulate ?

x

• Posted

I want to hug you ! this was a sad read!

Im sorry the sonographer was rude and uncaring to you.

Just because you have PCOS does not mean you will have reduced fertility. Many women have PCOS and dont know, it is much more common than you think. the fact you work out and are healthy will definitely increase your chances of getting pregnant.

If I was you I'd keep the coil in until closer to the wedding and then start trying. stress is also a major contributor to fertility troubles so try not to get down on yourself if you dont fall pregnant when you have "scheduled" to. Mother nature does what she wants when she wants xx 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind reply! So the first month after my diagnosis was hard, I have been suffering AWFUL and SEVERE anxiety. When I went to my doctors to speak about results she was shocked and in order to confirm PCOS(the syndrome) she wanted me to do blood tests to check hormones, thankfully they came back perfectly balanced, my LH AND FSH were exactly identical (apparently one is raised in a case of PCOS), I met with another doctor to discuss results she said it is HIGHLY unlikely I have PCOS infact she said to me you do not have PCOS, however I could have polycystic ovaries and like you mentioned not many people know unless have ultrasound, she even said she is sure if I was to have a scan in the next 4 months they will be clear. In the meantime to getting my bloods and results I had taken ovulation tests within the last 3 months, all of which I got peak fertility and periods ranging from 32-35 days. As it stands I dont feel im out the woods for PCOS although I have had nothing but good results (typical me!) and a nasty sonographer (eye roll) but feel so much relief my hormones are good and im doing well on my ovulation tests. I did go ahead with coil removal in Jan and using 'other' protection until the wedding. Although the last few months have been tough, I am more than ready and preparing myself mentally and physically to try to conceive after wedding in August (stopping ovulation tests now those in itself are highly stressful even when not TTC) When the time is right the time is right I suppose, wish me luck! xx

• Posted

may I add.. the spotting either side of period has dramatically stopped since removing coil x
  • Posted

Dont know if anybody will read this, but thought it would help people out. As you can see my story above is still not certain as to whether I had PCOS, the ultrasound said PCOS but my doctors said I didnt due to my hormone blood test. I am getting married in 10 weeks time, & because i thought i would have a hard time falling pregnant last month i decided not to use a 'condom'.. any way here I am 4 weeks pregnant, first time trying! Over the moon! So my message is to show you dont worry about cysts on ovaries and fertility! If its going to happen it will happen! xx

• Posted

Hi all, just to update you all, I am now 35 weeks pregnant, had a easy pregnancy so far no complications, my fingers are crossed for this to continue. Hope I am able to make anybody feel better out there that has been diagnosewith PCOS.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad time with your diagnosis/ undiagnosis! I've had pcos for years, and personally haven't yet tried to have a baby so can't help from personal experience, but have done a lot of reading and research around pcos since my diagnosis. The first thing I discovered is that pcos cannot be diagnosed on ultrasound. Like you said they can see polycystic ovaries, but this doesn't mean you have the syndrome. And simple polycystic ovaries can even be caused by being on the pill, and they then return to normal over time! (Sadly not all the people who do the scans seem to be aware of this!!)

Polycystic ovarian syndrome means you have other symptoms, such as lack of periods, acne, facial hair etc, and the abnormal blood tests. Unfortunately I have all that apart from acne, hence my diagnosis was made, but most people with pco won't have pcos.

I'm so happy to see you're now probably 6 weeks pregnant, congratulations! As you said, just goes to show having cystic ovaries doesn't mean you can't have babies, in fact as long as you are having periods it suggests you are ovulating, even if it's just a slightly longer cycle, and if it's irregular just makes it harder to gauge your fertile times, hence people start using ovulation kits, great but expensive! Even if you're not ovulating there are ways to help that.

I have heard stories of so many people who have pco, or even pcos, who are so scared they will never have a family and now have beautiful little babies, even some who were told they'd 'never fall pregnant naturally' so like you say, for everyone to take away, pcos is not the end of the world, just a bit rubbish! Hope you have a beautiful wedding and the dress still fits!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.