Penile discomfort while on isotretinoin/accutane/roaccutane

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am a male in my late 20's and I started on accutane 5-6 months ago for acne located in my back. I follow up with my derm every month to make sure I didn't develop new symptoms/side effects. My current dose is 60 mg--I had gone up to 80 mg but developed blurry vision at night, so my derm decreased my dose back to 60 mg.

I had tolerated the medication well this whole time but 7 weeks ago I started to feel sensitivity to my penis head in particular my urethra. I also noticed that my penis was very dry with abnormal red spots. I had zero suspicion that these symptoms were related to my accutane. Therefore, I went to my primary care physician and got tested for STDs--everything resulted NEGATIVE. I was then sent to a urologist, which i had to wait 3 weeks for my appointment.

while i waited for my urologist appointment, I started to do research on the correlation of my symptoms and accutane. To my surprise many other males have complained about these exact symptoms with a common diagnosis of ureteritis. I was able to finally follow up with my urologist, who is open to the idea that my symptoms are related to accutane but what is more concerning is that he noticed I had bladder retention--meaning I do not completely empty my bladder after i urinate (which i had no idea!). I am currently pending my derm follow up appointment.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED BLADDER RETENTION WHILE ON ACCUTANE???

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.