Perforated ulcer

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi was wondering if anyone could help.  My husband had a perforated stomach ulcer 3 years ago which he knew nothing about until he collapsed at work.  After being rushed to hospital and operated on they found the perforated ulcer and his appendix had burst at the same time. He was very poorly and the doctors said he was lucky we live so close to the hospital.  Back to now over the past few weeks he has noticed he is belching a lot, his stomach is gurgling a lot and when he eats or drinks the food or liquid feels like it is hitting an empty stomach and he then suffers heartburn.

has anyone else had these symptoms and could this be another ulcer and is it something we should be worried about.  We have made an appointment with the Gp but the pay can't fit him in until December .  Thanks in advance

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do they not have same day appointments or is there not a Walk In Centre in your area. Failing that phone 111 for advice or go to A&E and exagerate his symptoms a little.

• Posted

We are going to go to our walk in centre tomorrow but just wondered if anyone else had the same symptoms thanks derek76
    • Posted

I have an appointment with a consultant next week for ongoing stomach symptoms. It was actually fast tracked and has taken about four weeks.

I have twice had a duodenal ulcer as has my wife.

• Posted

Hi Sonya

I had 6 blood transfusions for mine!

Were you able to determine the cause of the ulcers.. aspirin. NSAIDs, stress?

Has your husband had endoscopy? Perhaps he has developed a hiatal hernia which is allowing reflux which is causing heartburn. Antacids and elevating the head of the bed 5-6 inches will help keep stomach contents in the stomach.

Instantaneous perforations with a rush of bleeding are rare...to occur simultaneously with a burst appendix is close to unheard of. You must have been out of your mind with worry.

So, have your husband watch his stool for signs of bleeding...the stool looks like coffee grounds, you see bright colored blood, the stool is blackish...see any of these and go to the emergency.

Sometimes staff is so rushed that it feels like they did nit hear and respond to our urgency. Actually, they have been trained to listen for certain cues that dictate emergency....like, my husband has brightly colored bloody stool.

I wish I could hug you

kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.