Permitted Work on ESA

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've not worked for 7 years now due to neuropathic pain from my chiari but I'd like to try and see if I can manage to do a little work. I wondered if anyone is doing permitted work while on ESA Support Group and if its caused any problems with your benefits. I'm so scared that if I try and work the DWP will throw me off my benefits completely. Just need some advise. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey, you're allowed to work around 16 hours I think before your ESA benefits are capped. And you have to earn less than £ 115 (ish) a week.

Official words from ESA website

Claiming ESA if you work

Your ESA isn’t usually affected if you either:

earn up to £20 a week

work for less than 16 hours a week and earn up to £115.50 a week, for 52 weeks or less (or for any length of time if you’re in the support group)

This is called ‘permitted work’.

You can also do ‘supported permitted work’ and earn up to £115.50 a week. This must be part of a treatment programme, or supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people.

You must tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) if you start doing permitted or supported permitted work. They’ll send you form PW1 to fill in and send back to them.

Any volunteer work you do needs to be reported. It normally doesn’t affect your ESA.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks, I've read the information on the DWP website. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this. I'm worried that they will see that I'm working a little and throw me off my benefits so I'm just wanting some examples of people that have been doing permitted work and it hasn't effected their benefits. Hope this makes sense 😊

• Posted

Ah okay. It happened to my aunty. She works 15 hours a week and they cut her housing benefits by £20 with no change to her ESA. As long as you stick within the "wordings* then you should be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.