Peroneal Tendon: having a second surgery or stay without?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After months of mild ankle pain, on the 11.07.2022 I jumped down the escalators and heard a big noise. MRI showed a complete rupture of the peroneal brevis and partial rupture of the longus. Two days later, in the middle of one of the hottest and beautiful summer, I had a peroneal surgery peroneal tendon transfer procedure. After the suture were removed 2 weeks later, the horror movie started and continued for several months, I was in massive pain at the incision and I started to get frustrated, not being able to go out and enjoy the summer, and 2 months after surgery not being able to wear any shoes or walk for more than 10 minutes without having to stop in pain. I was also not able to start a new job for which I recently completed an advanced certificate. I started PT 2 weeks after surgery, but every time there was a different physiotherapist and, as there is no communication between surgeon and physio, the physiotherapists really didn’t know what to do exactly. Only one physiotherapist, that I had only once but otherwise fully booked told me about scar tissues and handle the wound, besides him other therapist refused (or didn’t know how) to treat the scar, making me doing only building up exercises (after which I had a lot of pain that persisted for 3-4 days, and would improve only with putting the foot at rest with ice and elevation and taking a lot of pain killers). So I developed scar tissue and chronic pain, which doesn’t allow me to sleep at night, or sit in a comfortable position, it is impossible to find a position.

Now I’m 8 months after surgery, I insisted to have another MRI in January as I couldn’t do the eversion exercise and this showed a 3.5 cm re-rupture of the peroneus longus and brevis tendon and I was told that last year rhe surgery was not successful, and that I need another peroneal tendon surgery with allograph this time. My world has fallen apart. I was looking forward to be able to walk again normally also on uneven surface, with the hope to hike, bike and dance soon again and I applied for a new job (since the job last year was not available anymore) and now it seems that my life has to stop again. Current symptoms are instability when I walk, I always need a tutor, pain if the surface is uneven, I still have scar tissues pain and numbness (apparently the sural nerve was damaged by the first surgery), those never abandoned me.

I’m wonder if others have experienced the same? A failed first peroneal surgery and having to repeat the same painful experience again. Unless, I decide not to do anything. I'm traumatised and I don't trust surgeons anymore.

I’m wondering if having a new surgery will really help, considering that the first failed and nobody tells me why (besides that the surgeon made a mistake…). And also why should the scarring be better after this new operation? Have others had a second surgery to repair the damage done with the first one and what was the outcome?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.