Peroneal tendon re reputure today. Can I fly tomorrow?

Posted , 4 users are following.

As per the title i have re ruptured my peroneal tendon this morning. i am waiting to find out the extent of the rupture. I am due to fly tomorrow morning. is this wise?

i ruptured my peroneal tendon this time last year btw.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If it's a rupture and it's ruptured before been, shouldn't it need a pin/screw? If it hasn't had one, you might need it. As for flying, main issues are swelling and blood clots. Ask your dr about taking aspirin or something to prevent clots in the area. Is it a long flight? High altitude?

• Posted

Oops, sorry about the extra 'been'. I had ankle and hip injuries (lots of tears, ruptures, instability of ankle, partially dislocating left hip, infected left hip etc) and had to fly from London to Sydney. I had also fallen down the stairs two days earlier and was in excruciating pain. The hospital cleared me to fly as long as I took aspirin, elevated my leg and got a review of my pulled neck ligaments when in Sydney (I couldn't sit up to elevate my leg. I had already planned to fly laying down in first class). Due to the high altitude, my leg and particularly my foot, blew up like a purple to black balloon. During the long decent into Sydney, I had to sit up and was in such excruciating pain, I was nearly unconscious. My mum kept giving me low dose valium and codeine to help the pain. At one point, I remember looking down and saw the skin had split on the top of my foot due to the massive engorgement and blood was dribbling onto the carpet. It was absolutely horrendous. I still have nightmares 5 years later.

Anyway, horror story.

Just check with the docs re swelling, pain, fit to fly letter and risk of blood clots

Melissa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.