Persistent/Chronic UTI

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am a 34 yr old male. i have been experiencing UTI symptoms for the past 2 years. i have been through CT Scan Urogram, Ultrasound, Cystocopy . The results all come back normal.

i have been always getting the same bacteria which is ecoli. i have been always given augmentin and after my antibiotic treatment a few days later, i still got uti again. when i do a culture, it is still the same ecoli.

i have tried nitrofurantoin antibitoic as well for 3 months on low dosage. but when i stop it, the uti will come back again.

wondering if anybody have the same similar issues?

thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. i think you need to test for chronic bacterial Prostatitis. I have it on and off since 2019. Clear for large periods of time but if you prone to getting it it often returns eventually.

You said there is

• persistent UTI symtpoms
    • E. coli is isolated
    • UTI syrmoms goes away when on antibiotics

i think it sounds like a prostate infection. E. coli is the most common cause of it. Some bacterial STDs can also cause it. But you have the root cause isolated - E. coli.

Very few antibiotics penetrate the prostate effectively. Nitrofurantoin barely penetrates at all. Hence will not treat root cause, simply just relieve symptoms (infection might be reduced but not eliminated). Antibiotics typically used for prostate are flouroquinalones (Ciprofloxacin and others). Also Trimopterim (spelling might be wrong) penetrates well. Augmentin is a penicillin and is only a moderate penetrator of prostate.

If E. coli is showing in your sample culture then the lab will have sensitivity data on your specific strain of E. coli.

Considered best in class are flouroquinalones (ciprofloxacin and others). They penetrate the prostate quite well. However, some people react really really badly to these and you should consult your doctor. Some people are fine on them. I had to come off them. Was switched to Trimopterin (currently on).

Also try Dmannose for ongoing prevention. Get in health store. A simple sugar that binds E. coli and stops it binding the urethra. Helps me with symptoms also

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.