Persistent Constipation Remedies?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I'm a 25 year old female that is overall very healthy but started to experience severe constipation ~ 5 months ago. I have had issues with constipation on and off throughout my life but it would never last more than 2-3 days (mainly while traveling). I noticed I was not having any movements at all for about a week, I had gained about 8Lbs in that week out of nowhere. I have tried fiber supplements, miralax, stool softeners, etc. I went to a GI doctor where I had xrays done and that revealed I was extremely backed up. I was given samples of linzess but that did not improve my symptoms. I sampled Trulance which helped me greatly, unfortunately my insurance does not cover it and I cannot apply any savings coupons to bring down the cost due to my deductible. My bowel movements are very small and incomplete if they do occur, my diet is fair and I drink ~80oz of water per day. I am not sure what I can do to help solve this issue as my doctor only wants to put me on prescription medicine i cannot afford. TIA!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi Christina43449, there is evidence that probiotics (fermented food with live bacteria) can help ease the symptoms of some cases of irritable bowel syndrome (source NHS).

If you consume milk products I would really recommend homemade kefir. I have been making it for years. You will need kefir grains as starter. A kefir grain the size of a finger tip is placed in a glass jar with 250 ml of pasteurized fresh milk or long life milk and fermented at room temperature (20 C or 68 F) for 24 hours in a dark place. It sets like a yogurt and is mild at first. The more it ferments the more sour it gets and the more the whey separates from the solid milk parts. For the next batch, the kefir grain together with two teaspoons of kefir is mixed thoroughly with 250 ml of milk and fermented again. Eventually, the kefir grain will increase in size and should be divided. The grain itself can be consumed or even better given to neighbours or friends. My tip: Don't be tempted to make large quantities of kefir. You might get tired of it soon. Instead, consume a small amount every day for the best health benefits.

You mentioned that you used fiber supplements. Have you tried Psyllium husk? A spoonful is placed in a large glass of water, mixed well, and taken immediately. The psyllium husk creates a gel that bulks up the stool and increases the moisture content. Like kefir, it works best if it is taken regularly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.