Persistent Pruritus Ani for years, looking for advice to recover

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have Pruritus Ani, and I am desperately looking for advice to recover.

It started in late 2016 when I developed an anal fissure.

Before the anal fissure, I would just wipe up, maybe a tiny bit of stool would be left behind, but however much never really mattered - there was never any itch. I think this is just normal.

But then I got the fissure and became very scared of wiping, since it caused a lot of pain. And if all the stool wasn't completely cleaned away, it would itch like crazy.

Fortunately, the fissure is now gone. However, the itching remains.

I've tried all manner of creams and techniques to try and recover, none of them worked.

My current routine after a bowel motion is to use shower cord & emollient on fingers to wipe up all the stool. Then dab dry with toilet paper.

I'm think I'm washing/rubbing it too much, and that is why the itching hasn't gone away.

Constipation was also an issue daily, due to my diet being very poor, and holding it in due to being scared to just go to the toilet when needed. I would often have 2-4 bowel motions a day.

I'm now following a much better diet, so now I only have 1-2 bowel motions per day. But I still think I'm overcleaning it.

So my question is this:

If I stop cleaning so thoroughly, potentially leaving a tiny bit of stool behind ('in the skin creases'), will the skin heal up? So I would just have to put up with the itchiness for the short term? If so, I'm happy to just try and ignore the itch and be patient.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi harry17730, not sure what you mean by a shower cord. I am using a hand help sprayer. image

The water jet is narrow and can be used to clean the anal area leaving no traces of stool. I then pat the area dry using toilet paper or a fresh small towel. In general, I prefer to use cold water as it seems to calm the skin down. I am always careful to choose standard toilet paper without additives like lotion or scent. For me these have caused a skin irritation in the past.

Have you tried cleaning the area without emolient? What kind emolient are you using?

• Posted

I meant to write:* hand held sprayer*.

• Posted

similar madenning problem for many years. finally think ive found a solution which works for me. the problem i think was that even tiny injuries, cuts, microfissures, damaged areas of skin dont hurt, they itch. and there was always a tiny bit of damage from night scratches etc. tried many creams which didnt help at all. however i stumbled on one which provided relief immediately taking away the urge to further damage the skin and which also helped keep it clean. its a simple antiseptic cream called germoline. i can honestly say its like a miracle. no more itching and healed skin / no more itching allowing skin to heal meaning no more itching or even need for the cream. it ends that itch scratch damage itch cycle. i used it for maybe a few days. if i ever have a hint of itching i use the cream. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.