PHN

Posted , 3 users are following.

how have some people decreased their medication for PHN ? I do find yoga and mediation, and swimming to help me get longer periods without pain . I have to admit some times I drink a little wine , and this also helps for a little while but of course you should not drink while on medication H 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am trying to do yoga / relaxation for about 30 mins every day. I think it's helping a little bit, but the shooting pains and the dull ache persists. 

Just returned from acupuncture , still in pain. I have decided to take a little alcohol tonight - cannot  believe PHN can be so debilitating!!!  Unless I am sitting perfectly still with a hot / cold pack (hot) against my torso, the pain is constant . 

Thank you for the chat

• Posted

Hi Alexis, yes isn't that right u daren't move or it can send it off, If the cold wind blow on my face and head I suffer for ages after . I lost my job because I had it so long, yet I cannot get sick benefit because they say I am fit for  work! Yet I know I couldn't work full time because of my head ( that is where I have the pain , left side of head and sometimes down the face) . But I give thanks each day for a new day and hope today is the beginning of it healing so I will be clear from pain and medication.Thank you for your support ? H
    • Posted

Hi Hiscotty

This may go on for years !!! May I ask how old you are? 

I managed to drivel today, and did a little gardening. Love being outside when it is warm. 

It's worrying when we know how much we are suffering and positive help and support is not available under current system. 

My Dr told me today I was unfortunate to get this so badly at 60, virtually my last resort - he prescribed Capsaicin cream - chilli pepper cream - two pharmacists didn't have it in stock, however they did order it , I picked it up tonight. 

You appear very positive - a wonderful quality.

Take care Alexis

• Posted

Oh Alexis I do try to stay positive I got this when I was 55 and have it one 2 1/2 yrs now , I will swear I got  it from massive stress I was under at work at the time, for approx a yr  when I was diagnosed I had never heard of PHN , I had been getting such a sore head  on the left hand side, like a burning fire in my head, I didn't know what it was and thought the worst , it was 2 weeks before I got a gp appointment  and then even with private health ins. Another  2 weeks before I saw a consultant, i sometimes feel very let down by the lack of interest and support, surely there must be a " next stage" what are GP,s content to just say keep taking the medication...... For life I want to say. Must say I beleive warm sunny weather does help as opposed to the cold .  I hope your medication helps I am on gapapeptin during the day and amptytripiline at night, I just hate being on medication and so I try all alternatives..... Someday Alexis we will get the miracle 😇 H 
  • Posted

Hi Hiscottty. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain from PHN. How long have you been suffering from it and was it your first episode of shingles?  I would go back to the surgery and explain how you are in detail and ask for adcice about reducing the pain meds.! I've not had too much PHN myself but I do take Tramadol for Arthritis pain anyway so I just upped the amount a bit especially at bedtime. I still get the occasional twinge. My problem has been the overwhelming tiredness! I find I have to pace myself and take a nap after the tabs. (Age related maybe, I'm 72)! Pain clinics can help too. Ask you doc about that if you've haven't already done so. Best wishes, Ellie rolleyes
    • Posted

That should have been advice! Typo. wink Sleep helps to heal too!
  • Posted

Thank you ELlie, part of my problem is it is in the left side of my head, I have been to go regularly and back to consultant they just say take the mess it takes time. I never had a shingle rash but they were certain it came from the shingle virus and that I came too late when it had really got a hold of the central nervous system . You are right sleep also helps, I just want to sh I knew it was going to go away soon ! I guess that's what we all want ! 

Thank you for your support , I hope you have more ease than pain H 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.