PHN and Diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience in trying a specific diet to try to mitigate the pain of PHN? I've read that a Ketogenic diet has shown promise in helping with epilepsy, especially in controlling GABA and noradrenaline. Controlling these two brain chemicals is the purpose of most of the prescribe medication for PHN (such as gabapentin, pregabalin, lyrica, cymgen/cybalta, etc).

So perhaps a keto diet could be something we could try or look into.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have had PHN for over 2 years. don't think diet has much effect. IFT Physiotherapy can help relieve pain to some extent.and reduce your medication. If you cant wear a shirt because it is on chest and back, you can use a simple device to avoid contact and yet be able to wear a shirt without the burning sensation.

• Posted

i tried a 100% grain free diet for a month with the thought it might reduce inflammation. found no relief from that, although i lost 20 lbs that month! finally a good side effect. ive had phn for 7 years now and read many things out there and tried supplements and diets, to no effect.

i will say i did find that microcurrent therapy does work to stop the pain immediately. but like all meds, it doesnt last. i get 1-3 days relief, then have to run it again. i purchased a unit myself and use it regularly. not cheap! $1500 after i spent about the same at a few appointments at a doctors office. we determined phn is likely scar tissue on nerves and needs regular use of mc to get pain relief.

good luck and dont spend a lot of $ on worthless stuff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.