PHN and Migraines

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have PHN on my trigeminal nerve on the left side of my face/head. Most of the time I experience pain in my face and eye but occasionally, and seemingly more frequently, I also get migraines. 

Has anyone else had any experience of both PHN and migraines? And if so, are there any effective medications or treatments? 

I have been prescribed a relatively new drug, Palexia (tapentadol), which is a combination of SNRI (similar to duloxetine/cymgen/cymbalta) and opiod painkiller. Has anyone else had any experience with it? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I unfortunately cant help your question about migrains as my phn is in my stomach and back area. I do have a question for u tho. How did u locate the nerve that causes your pain. And also how long have u sufferd with phn. And had yiur phn changed in intensity over time ? Do u belive stress had a mjor cause in your phn? For me stress is yes but i wasnt aware of how stressed i was at the time. Best if luck getting to the bottom of your migrains   May u have the courage to fight on
    • Posted

The pain has always been on the left side of my face, but it took a visit with a neurologist to (literally) pinpoint that it was my trigeminal nerve. 

I've had PHN for nearly 5 years now, and stress has definitely been a major factor - both in the initial attack and the sustain pain. The intensity seems to have ebbed and flowed over time, and in different areas. 

Right now I'm trying to take as much time out as possible to destress as much as possible. I'm sure you are aware that the condition is stressful enough on its own. 

Good luck to you too!

• Posted

I have a similar issue the same but on the right side.

i have been in agony since 2012.

i am not sure about the migraines.

i think it’s different than PHN.

as far as pain alleviation I am resigned to suffering firever the nerves are shot and won’t be the same..I take strong opoidd when it is truly unbearable only.

I have to ask the neurologist about yr medication,

i have not heard of it,

hiwvlong do you have PHN.

on an up note, I thought I would NEVER be able to go swimming again because of eye pain and irritation,

lit s a miracle that 

plastic week I was. Able to swim for 45 minutes in a Salt body of ocean water.

i hsve been a strong good swimmer all my life.

one of my last wishes on earth was to be able to go swimming again

i am trying to hold on to that when the pain is totally unbr unbearable.

P

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. How old are u. I am 38 got it when i was 36. The pain has lessoned about30 percent. I did have this beforeand it slowly almost went away on its own. It did take a few years in which i did nothing cause thought mothing i could do. Man wish i could take time off. I run the busiest pizzeria in canada in which i m pretty sure caused both cases of my shingles. Wveryday i think about what other profession i could do cause i know the stress frum my job is killing me. Getting better at managing it but there will always be stress soni wonder if thats why it seems to be taking so long to heal. I am living proof that paralyzing phn can go away and doesnt have to be a life long sentence. Hope it goes that way again tho this time is def a worse bout with it
    • Posted

I am 38 too, and I got shingles/phn when I was 33. Stress was definitely a reason why I got shingles, why it developed into phn, and why it has taken so long to heal. 

Learning to manage the stress is probably the next best thing, although that is easy to say but very difficult to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.