PHN odd pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I am 49 and have suffere repeat shingles for the last 7 years or so. It now tends to affect the outer aspect of my left thigh- sort of mid thigh. Never very big  perhaps the size of 2 large coins. Lots of blisters in each attack - too many to count. My last attack was end of March/ April it was a very painful account - affected my skin quite deeply ( if that makes sense ). I started running after it cleared and noticed just below my knee again on the outer aspect of my calf I felt as if the skin was bruised to the touch. Only sensitive to the lightest of touch - like if a skirt or similar brushed against it. It seemed to go ( I think) but for the last 9 days it’s been back. It stared again when I wore a pair of short trousers which brushed and brushed against the area. Over the last 24 hours it has faded when I wake in the morning but at the end of a busy day I get the sensation of nerve sensitivity to light brushing of the area. This week I have had nerve pain on and off in my bum and down the side of the thigh. I scared myself that it was something else after good old google. Can anyone reassure me please ? Should add that I have been so tired and stressed by it it has brought me out in a few blisters on my bum ! Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate, I read your post and relate in many ways.  I too am 49 and now in my 6th year of phn. I thought the virus returned for me, but my doc insisted it’s extremely uncommon.  It turned out my treating the pain with lidocaine caused severe hives, as I’m apparently allergic.  So at least I ruled out repeat infection.  I have read others though who report they experienced repeat outbreaks, especially during stressful times.  I have found that the nerve pain does seem to “spread” over the years to nearby nerve lines.  Stress now increases pain levels and it’s mostly unpredictable where or how it’ll hit .  My original rash outbreak started in my upper thigh and worked up to my ribs.  I now also get the same phn nerve pain in the opposite rib area as well as lower thigh of the original leg.  So despite medical science saying not likely, I say oh yes it is.  I now have a doctor who believes me and my assessment of where/how pain is, and she does say nerve pain can radiate and even change in style and intensity.  Nerves do seem to be an in-exact science and somewhat unknown.  Hopefully you have a good understanding doc.    You’re not alone, friend!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the reply .ive had about 25 outbreaks in 8 years. The longest I have managed without a rash in that time is 9 months. My nerve endings often feel “alive”. I genuinely don’t think that the doctors have a real idea that we can have these odd symptoms; I think that once it’s in our system or nervous system goes haywire! I’m so sorry that you seem to have the same issues x
  • Posted

It's fine Kate. Welcome to the wonderful world of yet another sensation from PHN!! That's called allodynia. I had shingles in October 2016 with subsequent PHN. I couldn't understand when people when would describe that sensation. Then I started having it about 4 months ago. It's defined as a painful or sensitive response to a stimulation that shouldn't cause pain. It's the over-reaction of the nerves. It can come and go. Another REALLY fun symptom is formication, yes that IS the word, spelled with an "M". It's a feeling of itchy/crawly bugs on the skin. I had a theory, and others wondered if it's actually from the nerves healing. I suggested that to a PHN researcher, and he had no idea. Helpful, hunh?

For some people a breeze can set it off, or their ponytail touching their neck. My PHN is in my back and shoulder so I can't wear a top that goes too low in the back or has a yoke, a seam about 4-6" below the neck, as that pressure will be VERY annoying. I can go days without it, then it pops up again.

Are you on preventative anti-virals? Or do you take them at the first sign of a new outbreak? I've heard that the type of shingles you have quite often reoccurs.

• Posted

Hi babs: thank you for the really informative reply. I think what has surprised me is how isolated this sensitive patch is on my leg. Google is not a good friend when you research something like that!! I used to take preventative anti virals but I don’t even bother going to my Gp any longer when I have an outbreak. I almost think what’s the point! I’ve started taking multi vitamins again to try give my system a boost ! Don’t think middle age hormones are helping either !! 

So sorry you have this same type of pain; it’s wearing.

Look after yourself xx

• Posted

Kate

I’m sorry to hear of your pain I have suffered with post herpetic neuralgia for 10 years now but mine is in my head it has caused nerve damage to the greater and lesser occipital nerve . I have nerve blocks every and Botox every 3 months so say this week nerve bock six weeks later Botox then six weeks later nerve bock and so on.i am waiting for surgery to have a nerve stimulator fitted. So you could say I understand.

My first advice would be to get referred to a pain clinic. Secondly most cases do clear up in time but may take a couple of years mine unfortunately didn’t causing me to have to finish work at 48 years old. There are a few things you can do lifestyle change is a big thing trying to cut down stress is a must but not very easy I know.

Medication is another doctors will prescribe epilepsy drugs which can be very effective. For my nerve pain I use lidocaine patches which you put on the area for 12 hrs they are very good but doctors don’t like prescribing them due to their cost also lidocaine cream can be applied again on prescription these help a great deal with the nerve pain. I also have anti viral tablets by me for when a shingles attack hits but I must say I have had very little attacks of shingles since my doctor agreed to give me the shingles vaccine. 

The pain is undesirable unless you have had it I feel for you and please feel free to contact via page anytime 

I have had many drugs unfortunately they don’t seenm to work for me and the ones that did I was allergic to.

Acupuncture / Reiki and Bowen technique can really help it’s just finding the one that suits you best but it does come with a cost to yourself. 

I’m sorry I can’t be more reassuring but the help is out there but you have to push your doctor for referrals. I have to travel from Wales to London every six weeks as we have not got suitable clinics in Wales. I also had nerve denervation treatment at a pain clinic in Dudley that may be another course of action for you. 

Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark, oh my word! I’m so sorry that you have been in such discomfort for so long ! I’m going to try to see GP this week but they will look at me a little oddly I suspect as I stopped going for shingles outbreaks and just have got on with it! I have a very stressful job and Middle age hormones don’t help! I too live in Wales ! The patch of skin sent me into panic when I googled it - (MS, cancer ....... the list went on) 

Thank you so much for taking the time to get in touch

Kate x

• Posted

Any time I know what’s it’s like because you are not in a plaster cast or bandaged up people think there is nothing wrong they treat you as if you are faking it I been there. I’m in bed today with it morphine is starting to wear off now so you getting the best of me before next dose. Please don’t feel you are alone there are plenty of us about. Not sure what part of Wales you are in butto get the ball rolling I went to see a consultant in the Nuffield in Shrewsbury cost me £150 but it got me up the list on NHS from there I started getting treatment mine is slightly different being in the head but I’m sure you can get similar treatment for other areas. I’ve been desperate so I do understand let me know how it goes with your GP ask him for lidocaine plasters for the nerve pain they really do help

mark 

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Shingles is known to occur when the immune system is decreased in its function, such as it is during a period of long-term stress or during immunosuppression treatment. If you are getting repeat episodes, I would think two things might be advisable to stop the shingles outbreaks. Get the Shingrix vaccine, then do things to bolster the immune system. Vitamins are probably a good idea, but meditation (spelled correctly here, not “medication”) has been shown to help the immune system. Meditation has also been shown to help people manage long-term pain. Managing it does not mean getting rid of it, but instead doing things to decrease its effect on us and our lifestyles. A few minutes a day can make a big difference. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.