Physio not working !

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi all, I'm 10 weeks po rtkr and only have flexion of 78 which has only improved 3 degrees in last 2 weeks although a great improvement on my 50 of 5 weeks ago. However my extension is going backwards from -10 last week to -15 this. My pt has said she doesn't think physio will work enough and that I should see surgeon to discuss MUA and cpm machine. Scary but if it works.........

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Confer with your surgeon because most therapists throw around the MUA term like it's confetti.  My surgeon has done knees for 27 years and and only 7 or 8 MUAs, besides that, it not good for the joint to just go in and do that.  I am 4 weeks post op and today with alot of work I got to about where you are, but I know I will have to fight and exercise on my own to stay there.  Each time the therapist will probably push beyond my comfort level, but it's probaby necessary.  Slow progress is better than someone pushing to the point of screaming and that reults in an increase in swelling and inflammation that in all honesty, did not give you progress but more so, a set back.  The extension they want you at -15 which is healthy hyper-extension.  That's perfect.  Flat is 0.  I'm at -13.  Not worried about those 2 degrees either.  My surgeon said - get a chair with wheels, plant your feet and then roll into flexion as far as you can bear and then roll out.  You don't need anything else, except it helps to exercise those muscles around the knee by doing leg lifts and so on.  I disagree with you saying Physio is not working.  Sounds like it very much is.  Don't compare with others either.  We are all different.  My surgeon told me you can gain more and more flextion up to two years.  I take his word over the intimidation and fear mongering of a therpist.  That's how I feel about that !

• Posted

I would talk with the surgery as soon as possible. Good luck.
  • Posted

Your Physio is working, since you do see improvement.  MUA is rare so I would not worry about that.  I'm where you're at and I heard about MUA as well by PT.  But as long as you are working it and gaining some degrees, you'll be fine.  The greater the minus numbers, the better you are doing in the extension.  -15 is the best you can be.  My surgeon has been doiing knees for 27 years and only did about 8 MUAs.

• Posted

CPM MACHINE, Continuous Passive Motion I think, used it for 2 weeks after surgery. Very gently flex / unflex knee , no pain it might help,.Dave
  • Posted

I had a CPM it's awesome. Get one ASAP!!  Lots of ice for swelling and move it. It's gonna hurt but do it a little each day. I'm 12 weeks PO and have 126 degrees ROM. It's going. To take time to heal. I did a lot of strength training and flexibility exercise before surgery pushing myself then to prepare. I went paddle boarding at 7 weeks. I'm a 59 year old female. I was a college athlete so I'm very competitive with myself to improving each day and week. Keep at it and get the CPM

• Posted

Hi just keep with the exersises it will come first knee took  allmost a year to get there

its not a race plenty of ice when you are working it take your meds on time i found a massage before as hard as you can stand hurts like s**t to start with but becomes more comfortable after a few days doing it good luke

• Posted

Kathryn,  keep doing your exercises.  You have met the extension goal.....now the bend will come.  Make sure you do your exercises at least 2x daily...3 if you can.  Once I reached extension goal...my bend just kept improving.  Did my exercises, walked a lot, and it worked.  Good luck.

pam

• Posted

My surgeon told me MUA are not good for the joint and in 27 years of doing TKR  and having had one himself, he's only done 7 or 8 of them.  Quite rare that they are needed, and there are stricter guidlines for going there, but you are already on the other side of those, so I can't say you need one, really doubt it.  I was again told by my surgeon that you can gain more flex up to two years afterwards.  Google the myth of window of time to gain flexion in TKR

• Posted

I think there is some confusion to your measurements in the answers given -15 is 15 degrees from zero so not great. I've been exactly where you are (I still am with the flexion, 78 is my best at week 7). This is my second tkr in 18 months. I won't compare as mine is incredibly complicated and I am never going to reach great measurements, this is the best my leg has moved in 5 years. A MUA might be the best way to go for you. I would think at 10 weeks it may be too late to use a cpm machine (from past experience it isn't great for those with limited movement). The scar tissue will already be built up so the manipulation should help this.

If your surgeon recommends it then go for it....get in asap as it needs doing sooner rather than later.

• Posted

Just noticed your name....maybe it's us Kathryn's who have trouble with movement 🙄

• Posted

Indeed! I think the cpm was only being mentioned by surgeon and pt for after MUA . Seeing consultant on Tuesday so will know more then
  • Posted

Wow, all I can say is I have you in my prayers.  I hope the doc figures out something for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.