Pinky constant numbness remains two weeks after Ulnar Nerve Decompression surgery at my Right elbow

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had pinky numbness on and off for the past four years, but the pinky and the base of the hand numbness became constant about four moths ago. I have no claw fingers and ALL my fingers motor function were still very good. I noticed my arm was weaker and a small muscle loss blow the thumb on my right hand. My EMG report showed "ulnar neuropathy at the right elbow. The right ulnar motor response measured at the abductor digiti minimi reveals slowing across the elbow. EMG of the right first dorsal interosseous and abductor digiti is normal and does not suggest anxonal loss". The report also says I have "bilateral median entrapment neuropathies at both wrists without symptoms, moderate on the left and mild on the right. The right median sensory responds reveals a prolonged peak latency (3.99ms) and slowed conduction velocity (42.1m/s). The right median-second-lumbrical-versus interossei distal motor latency comparison study, which confirms a median entrapment neuropathy at tye wrist is abnormal. the right median motor response is normal. EMG of the right abductor pollicis brevis is normal and does not suggest axonal loss" . My surgeon did the Tinel’s Test at the base of my right hand on the pinky side, but I wasn’t sure how I should feel so I said I may have felt something since the pinky was very numb already. My surgeon recommanded doing both my right elbow and the Guyon canal surgeries at that point. Since I was unsure of my own answers during the Tinel’s Test, in the end we only did my right elbow ulnar decompression release only. After the surgery, I have no pain and all my fingers and elbow functions are still very good, except my pinky numbness is still about the same as pre- surgery, constant numbness but not getting any worse. My surgeon says the surgery went very well, I agree except my pinky numbness is still the same two weeks after the surgery that concerns me. I’d expect some numbness relief after two weeks. Do you think my pinky numbness needs more time to recover or if I still have an entrapment at the Guyon’s Canal ? How much longer I should give myself before it’s pretty certain that my numbness problem is not fixed with the decompression elbow surgery? What other tests will help to pinpoint there’s entrapment at the Guyon Canal besides the Tinel’s tapping method? I'd be happy to attach my EMG report for your opinion if Guyon Canal surgery should have been done at the same time with my elbow surgery? Thanks. Jean

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.