Pityriasis Rosea caused by hep b vaccine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i just wanna vent and get some advice.

so about 2 months ago i noticed that large round patch on my upper right thigh.. it was dry and scaly but i thought it was nothing major, maybe i just needed to lotion up more.. ok well it faded a bit and then i began to get smaller spots all over both of my thighs but these spots arent the same texture as the original larger spot. now its 2 months later and i have broken out all over my body except my back and my face.I went  to the Dr's today & i was told it was Pityriasis Rosea. It burns & itches & gets irritated when i sweat. i am now so insecure about my skin as i have it all over my arms, thighs,stomach and now my chest and seems to be reaching my neck. 

.. i work in the dental field &  i was advised to get the hepatitis B vaccine, so i did just that.  the hepatitis B vaccine is a series of 3 doses within an 8 month period. i began to notice these spots right between the 2nd and 3rd doses. my question is could this be the cause of my Pityriasis Rosea? My doctor told me that this is caused by a virus and your body reacts by breaking out so i was thinking that it could be the vaccine since its a weaker form of the virus???? anybody thin so?

I read online that sun tanning will help get rid of these spots.. well im from new york and its mid october so thats not really an option.. anything else i can do to speed this up?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you have pityriasis rosea. It's an awful skin condition. 

I read a lot of research paper about PR and sadly they don't know the cause. At one point they believed it could be from a type of herpes virus but there was no proof. 

My red patches appeared right after I use a new kind of hair toner product and I thought that was just the reaction of my skin to the chemical. But it spread after 1 week so I went to the doctor and diagnosed with PR. In my case it lasted 8 weeks and my case was a very severe one. It spread to my neck and face and ears. 

I used fragrance free head and shoulders shampoo for my whole body. Then I also used soap free oatmeal bar after I rinsed the shampoo off. After all I use fragrance free and dye free lotion. 

6-8 weeks is the average PR last but there are cases it last for months. 

The itchiness is unbearable when it comes close to the end of its course. Don't scratch, don't pick at it. 

I'm against tanning so I can't give you advice on that. 

I hope this helps and I wish you a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

I couldn't say if there is a link between the hep shots and Pityriasis Rosea, however my daughter got this last summer all over her back and torso. She would have episodes where the pain was so intense she would ball up screaming and crying (she was 11 at the time, and rather rough around the edges so this is not her typical mo) the intense pain, which she described as knifes on fire cutting her from the inside out, would last about 10-15 minutes and come 2-3 times a day. The only thing that helped ease the pain was extreme cold. I literally took everything out of my freezer and covered her in it, we had to keep boxes those pop ice packs with us whenever we went out. It was truly devastating setting her go through this, and I pray this clears up for you fast! That said, her Dr. gave us a prescription for some steroid cream, normally I would opt out of putting this on my daughter because steroids are not good for anyone especially children, however we were desperate to find relief. Within a week all of her big red scaly spots had completely cleared up and she was pain free! She gave us a prescription for seven tubes, the tubes are rather small, because she said it could take a couple months to clear, however we didn't even need the entire first tube.

Praying for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Oh, and not sure tanning is the best because it causes sweating. My daughter couldn't go in the sun or heat because it triggered the pain episodes.

• Posted

I am now convinced the Hep B vaccine has something to do with my rash. so here is my story. i had to get the Hep B vaccine in the new 2 part shots i got the first one with no issues i went back and got the second shot at the same time i had to get the flu vaccine, (this is the first flu vaccine i have ever gotten) to be able to do and upcoming internship for my medical schooling. about 4-5 weeks after getting the 2nd vaccine and flu shot i got a oval shaped crusty patch of dry skin on my upper left leg on the inside, i thought i just had a bad case of dry skin in one spot so i started putting extra lotion and salves but nothing helped it wouldn't and hasn't gone away, i will note that i use all natural soap and lotion products no chemicals, so about 7-9 days after that patch showed up i started getting odd red spots on my chest, they didnt itch at first but if i scratch it would give a burn feeling, within two weeks of those first few spots it spread across my breasts down my belly to my sides to my lower back and has today worked its way up my back, nothing on my arms, hands, face, feet or legs other then that dry odd patch. my joints have recently started aching severely and I am exhausted a lot more. the rash is now itchy,it started becoming more itchy as soon as it stated really spreading, more so at night, it is spots like pupps or exzema in resemblance. I called to see my doctor and she diagnosed as pityria Rosea although i have no tests to confirm. when the rash appeared i wondered if it had to do with vaccine because i have never even had so much as a pimple on my skin ever I am immune to poison ivy and have never ever had any type of rash until now. your story seems very similiar to mine.i did come across a case in 2011 where this rash was diagnosed after the hep b vaccine. I also am over 40's and most cases of pity rosea are a lot younger so my age group is very uncommon. I will be speaking to my doctor and I do plan on asking about the coincidence of vaccine and rash. i will update but I do expect to get brushed off but I am not going to let it go as easy because I know my body and I feel something wasnt right after vaccine. Im all pro vaccine and am currently up to date on all my vaccines but that particular one I believe did cause a reaction and I want some answers and tests to prove I am right or wrong.

• Posted

hi Raiza

i have also recently been diagnosed with this. i have suffered with Psorisis for several years which o have over time managed to maintain as there is no cure for it unfortunately.

i have had a couple of sleep less nights because of the Pityriasis Rosea with a horrible burning sensation of my skin.

i am going to start using my steroid based Davobet all over my body which i normally oy uses in my effected Psorisis as the Dr believes it will ease the itching and burning sensation.

Please keep me posted if you find any lotions / creams that aid tour recovery from this

Thanks and i hope for a speedy clearence of this for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.