PLANTAR FASCIITIS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have plantar fasciitis in my right heel. My job requires me to drive a car 30,000 + miles per year, much of which is stop and go city driving. The position of my right foot on the accelerator pedal aggravates my condition. I'm looking for advice on how to minimize the aggravating cause without reducing my driving time. Any thoughts ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, while keeping the foot on the accelerator try to position your knee such that you create the smallest angle possible between your foot and shin. This will help to stretch your calves and the affected tendon while driving.

This is similar to wearing a splint during the night. The idea is that your tendon regenerates in a stretched position. It is meant to help minimize tendon micro-tears when switching from a period of rest to an active phase like walking.

On a motorway I would suggest driving as often as possible with cruise control switched on. Modern cars may even have an adaptive cruise control that also keeps a certain distance to the car in front.

• Posted

hi, whilst you are driving is it pressure on the heel or flexing the foot that is causing the most pain?

id recommend the physio stretches i was given before even standing up after youve been off your feet for a while. ill add a photo of them. i was also told to bin any unsupportive footwear, if you take your shoes/boots in you hands and can bend them in half, get rid as only the toe area should bend. ive found that dms have helped me a great deal.

• Posted

keep a golf ball in the car. NOTHING larger. When you're on cruise control or at a stop light, roll the arch and heel over the ball. Some people use a tennis ball, but don't use that as it may roll under your brake pedal.

• Posted

Hi

the advice so far looks good except the golf ball, the idea is ok but could be a safety issue when driving, my thought would be to be careful with that one. two ideas from me...padding under your heel in your shoe or trainer, there are many on the market. i bought 2 pairs supportive trainers and heel pads and wore them to work with permission. rest when you can and when you get home plunge your whole foot in cold water with ice blocks in for 20 minutes then rest with your foot elevated. hope that helps.

Sue

• Posted

Thanks. I saw a podiatrist yesterday and convinced him, against his better judgment, to inject me with cortisone in the Achilles tendon at the point where it attaches to the heel. I've experienced a cortisone flare since the injection but it is resolving. Hopefully the injection will resolve the pain at least temporarily. I don't intend to get another injection as they are contraindicated when the Achilles is inflamed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.