Plantar fasciitis diagnosed in both feet 3 years ago or more!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm from the UK so my treatment is on the NHS and I'm at my wits end.

I worked in retail full time for over 10 years and was constantly rushing around on my feet for 8 hours a day or more. I started to get a pain like cramp around the front of my left foot just above the toes, my mum suggested using scholl orthotics, I wore flat ballerina type shoes both inside and out of work. As time went on about 3 years ago I started to get severe unbearable heel pain that spread from my left foot to the right, it felt like there was no flesh at all supporting my heel when I was walking or standing, it felt like there was a golf ball inside each heel with a tee still attached and the tee would grind down through my heel, I had to take a ridiculous amount of time off work and last year I was so stressed that nothing was changing I had to resign and have been out of work ever since and just going through ruts of depression and major stress, I'm 34 years old and feel I'm on the scrap heap, I walked a lot as a hobby but of course it had to stop, I've always been active and weigh about 10 stone so my weight couldn't be a factor.

I'll go into my treatment now, I saw a GP who said I had all the symptoms of PF and suggested I see a podiatrist, the podiatrist agreed it was PF and also that I had heel spurs, she said she could feel them when she cupped her hand around my heels. From there it was back to my GP for pain relief, I got Ibuprofen and told to use ice packs, I couldn't work because in my job there are no seated positions. Back again to the GP for pain relief because normal Ibuprofen didn't even touch it so I was prescribed Meloxicalm I think and you could take it with paracetamol for extra relief, turns out that I should never have been prescribed it in the first place and I suffered constant bouts of nausea for the next 3 months until I got some stomach meds sorted. 6 months or so after that another GP suggested cortisone in one heel to see if it helped and put me on a waiting list to see a consultant podiatrist at my local hospital, I waited about 6 months to see him, the cortisone only had a slight effect that lasted about 3 weeks, I had been using orthotics from a private podiatrist and wearing more supportive sport shoes, the consultant recommended ultra sound guided cortisone in another hospital and to try the strassburg sock in bed that pulls your toes back but I couldn't wear them comfortably in bed so they were a waste. 6 months later I went to the other hospital and the consultant there disagreed with the PF diagnosis but didn't explain further, my local consultant also referred me to physio every 2 weeks, I got no answers about whether I could've been misdiagnosed from anyone, my physio seemed to think it could be a gait problem because my calves felt very tight, the massage from the physio was painful but did make my legs feel looser. I continued with the physio exercises and still do to this day, I have tried every orthotic on the market, gel etc and compression socks. My consultant can't give me any straight answers as to the heel spurs he had an X-ray that I had done a year or so before I saw him from a sprained ankle and it showed no bone spurs on that foot so he's ruled that out, I've been fitted for 2 pairs of custom orthotics 1st pair were very solid the 2nd a bit more spongy but I'' still in the same position. Because I don't have a job the pain isn't so severe but if I got another job I would be the same. Really disappointed with the hospital treatment, I've questioned everything and have gone through all their treatments except surgery and I'm not willing to do that because of the success rate and infection risk.

I've seen 2 private physio's the first told me to try to train my brain to roll my foot from heel to toe when walking and did a bit of electro therapy that really hurt my feet along the arches, the second physio said that it was possible that the PF had healed but my arches were under a lot of strain, that's were most of the pain is centered now, I got heel raising inserts from them and they seem to help a bit or maybe I'm so desperate I think they are, my feet have very high arches because I've used orthotics for so long.

U.K. Treatment is different from US can anyone tell me what I could do, friends & family try to help by saying I should walk a bit more but then I'm in pain!! If anyone can suggest anything or give advice I would e so grateful, nobody understands the levels of pain everyday and on days out, even doing the weekly grocery run hurts. Please can someone suggest what to do, I'm due to see my consultant soon and I nearly feel like attacking him with all my questions that he never seems to answer! I've never been offered an x ray or MRI that some people seem to find helpful. I want some quality of life back and desperately need to get back to work!!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Selina:  I certainly don't envy your pain.  I, too, was given a cortisone shot which has helped ease the pain.  I wear Vionic sandals which have definitely helped also.  I don't know if they are available in the UK or not.  Have your tried rock tape?  It's a tape used by professional athletes that promotes blood flow to the injured area.  It may or may not help.  Also, perhaps acupuncture?  My foot is much less painful though not a 100% and I totally miss my long-distance walking.  I now use a pedal exerciser.  All the best to you. 

• Posted

I agree google how to tape your foot it really helps. Also for me wearing a support sock had made s difference. I got one online and wear it mostly at night
  • Posted

Selena,  I'm sorry to hear how you've suffered.  Here's what I think.  Hope it helps:

I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  My plantar fasciitis began around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation in the area of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone.  This begins from trauma and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia (just a few fibers) that results, naturally, in inflammation which is the body's way of healing any tissue injury.  Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  

So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion your heel!!!  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  (I plan to use them indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wear a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone. 

That's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.   

• Posted

Please don't give up hope. Yes, I also am in uk and ended up dropping my working hours to practically zero and clearing my savings to live.

Nor being on your feet helps. The orthotics helped make the essential walking bearable. I have been swimming, which does relax my legs so stops the ankles being tight when I sleep.

I was told a few months ago Tha the risk of more tearing means I cannot have steroid injections. But not been back now the intense pain has subsided as I don't want to make it worse.

You sound like your journey is like many other of us Brits. Moving between physios, GPs and podiatrists. I dad have a good orthotic person whom said return in 18 months if no better.

Good for you not being overweight. Try to stay Tha way, as I am I think its now hard to exercise my way thin, even though I try to diet as well.

Hard for you being young and having this, any chance of considering a job less on your feet. I am not great on the computer but have done a couple of free online course and trying to get agency work, where I can choose to work to suit my physical and emotional energy levels.

Do please reply, as its good to use us for support. I have found using this site helpful and less isolating.

• Posted

Getting back to work is key--and so is getting rid of the debilitating pain!

I'd really encourage you to ask your doctor/podiatrist about EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology)--sometimes referred to as ESWT or shockwave therapy.  ?EPAT helps regenerate the damaged tissue. It works. It's effective. It's non-invasive and no anesthesia is required. 3-5 treatments, once per week. And each treatment is only about 10 minutes. I know that this is very established in the UK so you should be able to find a treatment provider.

It is worth every penny and will get you better faster.  If your doctor doesn't offer if or hasn't heard of it, try to find someone else who offers this innovative approach to dealing with heel pain.

Wishing you all the best!

• Posted

Hi Selina, my husband had proximal medial gastrocnemius release surgery (PMGR) on the NHS, around 8 months ago. It was done at Circle Hospital Bath by Tristain Barton.

His journey to surgery took around 3 years - he had naproxen, podiatrist, steriod injections, physiotherapist, more steroid injections, and tramadol painkillers before he was finally refered to MATS - muscoskeletal assesment and treatment service. They were the ones who sent him for an MRI, which conculsively proved the diagnosis, therefore being able to refer him to the surgeon.

He's a bartender so similarly to you, needs to be on his feet for work. Since the 'surgery' (10 mins under LOCAL!) he has seen a massive improvement and was back to work 10 days after the procedure

My advise is to push your GP for a referal to your local MATS. They should have the expertise to diagnose you, one way or another.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Selina, my husband had proximal medial gastrocnemius release surgery (PMGR) on the NHS, around 8 months ago. It was done at Circle Hospital Bath by Tristain Barton.

His journey to surgery took around 3 years - he had naproxen, podiatrist, steriod injections, physiotherapist, more steroid injections, and tramadol painkillers before he was finally refered to MATS - muscoskeletal assesment and treatment service. They were the ones who sent him for an MRI, which conculsively proved the diagnosis, therefore being able to refer him to the surgeon.

He's a bartender so similarly to you, needs to be on his feet for work. Since the 'surgery' (10 mins under LOCAL!) he has seen a massive improvement and was back to work 10 days after the procedure

My advise is to push your GP for a referal to your local MATS. They should have the expertise to diagnose you, one way or another.

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.