Plantar fascitis/agony. Please help.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've had plantar fascitis for about 5 weeks in my left foot. It has been absolutely agonising. I have been a chef from the age of 16 until 27, being on my feet for hours on end with this is torture. I'm really struggling to cope at work and it has now started in my other foot as I've been putting my weight on my good foot when I can. I've tried orthotic insoles, a foot restraint, arch support, 5 and 10 percent ibuprofen gel, voltarol gel, Cocodamel, a night splint. Just bought some telic flip flops as I'm going away and some gel heel inserts. I've tried a foot roller, bag of frozen peas. Literally at my wit's end. The voltarol gel helps slightly but not for long and the night splint has eased the pain slightly but all the rest have failed miserable. Can anybody please recommend any form of treatment. I've looked into a tens therapy machine. But I don't know where to go next. Its starting to become expensive and frustrating with some but no relief. Thankyou

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mitchell,  I so know exactly what you’re feeling! I am fortunate in that I am finally feeling some relief but it took a year before it finally was 90% gone. I wanted to share a couple of things that worked for me. This was advice that I got from others that had this as well and found relief from these things. I ordered online a slant board from flex-n-go,  if you take a look at them it might be something you can even build for yourself depending on how handy you are. I stood on this twice a day for 20 minutes each time with my back against the wall. I was diligent about this by the way no skipping. Also I Purchased gel inserts from Scholl’s called  pro-pain relief orthotics for heal pain relief. Not overdoing it on your feet is obviously a huge factor in the healing. As I said, It took a year to finally be at a place where I only occasionally feel it flare up a little. After doing the slant board and gel inserts (and wearing mostly supportive athletic sneakers) for about three months I started feeling a noticeable improvement, and every month after it got better and better. I wanted to include a picture of both of those items but cannot figure out how to include that here. Good luck, worst pain I’ve ever felt!!~Nancy
    • Posted

It's agonising isn't it. I'm only on my 6th week and Im struggling at work on a daily basis. I bought some gel heel inserts which have come today. Stabbing pains in both feet at first, but IL get a good use out of them at work tomorrow. I will have a look at the slant board and some atheletic running shoes/trainers. I've had some telic flip flops and I've found the pain to ease considerably. Only had an hour or so use out of them so far though. Thankyou for your help

• Posted

Hiya. Feeling your pain!! Ive suffered for a couple of years, but its peaking currently. Like you, trying allsorts with limited results. Next move is a visit to a sports therapist who also does acupuncture and is an osteopath! If one of his skills fields cant help, not sure whats after! Talked it thru with him the other day, and going for a full consultation this week to try to identify any triggering factors and hopefully start some sort of therapy. I will report back via this forum if theres anything of interest. Im currently with my heel taped with about an inch of padding under it, two gel inserts and hovering over the painkillers! Not my preferred option, but when its bad, have to resort to them to function. I shall report back in a few days! 😊

• Posted

Yeah I feel your pain. It's bloody excruciating at times. I spent 4 hours Saturday night. Cold compress. Hot compress. Massage foot roller. Etc continually. Woke up for the first time with no stabbing pain. But achy hurting feet and it's come back with a vengeance this morning. That day of relief was great though. Had some telic flip flops today and IL be honest they seem to be working rather well. Going to try the gel inserts at some point. Yeah please report back. Good luck

• Posted

Mitchell, I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  I got plantar fasciitis around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."   Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves. 

So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Make sure your innersoles are soft and preferably made of gel.  (I plan to use mine indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wore a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.  And I would suggest to you, have patience, not surgery.

Mitchell, that's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.  Good Luck to you, doknabox/JerryR

• Posted

Thankyou for your advice smile. Had some telic flip flops today. Only had them on half hour but the pain is considerably less. Next step is the gel inserts. Thankyou
  • Posted

I have a heelease which helps...and physiotherapy which also helps. But there isn,t a quick fix for this - though any padding helps.  a water bottle full of  ice helps with the pain, as does the heelease.  I also have some PF sock supports - the black ones,

which help too. Good luck

• Posted

taping done by a physiotherapist is also very helpful

• Posted

I've looked at the heelease and a tens therapy machine. I think there quite similar. Had some telic flip flops today which seem to be providing me with less pain than usual. But I will look into the heelease. I found at first compression socks helped. Don't help in the slightest anymore sad night splint, Cocodamel and voltarol has been the best combi so far. Thankyou for your help

• Posted

I have both for different conditions. Tens interferes with the pain signal by blocking it - and only relieves pain. Heelease does that too but by sending shock waves to break down the scar tissue formed in PF it purports to  shorten the healing time as well. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I can very much feel your frustration and the pain that you are feeling.  I came down with my PF while working on my feet too.  It is getting better, but still there.. especially bad in the mornings.  Have you tried massage or any kind of pain relieving gel? 

I hope that you will get some relief very soon. 

Take care.. Aimee

• Posted

First steps in the morning are horrendous. I've really struggled at work today. Like 8 til half 5 non stop killing me. I've tried the 5 and 20% ibuprofen gel. Which has done nothing for me. The behind the counter voltarol has given me some pain relief. Thankyou for your help

• Posted

Honestly you need to go to a doctor, they wrapped my feet for a week. It took 4-5 days before I started to feel some relief. The only real relief is rest, which working on your feet every day is hard. Another solution is K-T TAPE. That s**t was a life saver. It's like a arch support right on your foot! That can really help bc you can wear it 24/7. Only have an arch support on your feet for 8-12 hrs a day isn't enough to ever get some actual healing to happen. KT tape takes a little practice using but once you get used to it, an application will last 2-3 days. I use it whenever my feet get sore or know it's gonna be a long day on my feet. Try it!!! Hope that helps.

• Posted

Literally bought some off Amazon last night after reading your comment. It should come tommorow. Had telic flip flops and gel inserts today. The flip flops seem to be working relatively well. IL let you know how I get on with the tape. Thankyou for your help
    • Posted

I would suggest watching the YouTube videos on how to bandage you feet with padding for a few days first, gauze pads work well as you can make them thicker as needed. But PF definitely is a slow one to heal and recover from. Hope this and others provide some relief!
    • Posted

Have you done the PF calf stretching excercises? You can find them on FB and they need to be done at least twice a day. They stretch your calf muscle which is attached to your Fascia at the back of your heel via the Achilles tendon and that takes pressure off . But sorry,,,there is no quick fix, just lots of things that help it improve over time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.