Please help asap, anorexia related and about how to continue in a relationship

Posted , 2 users are following.

I stopped having my period last year and have not gained it back yet. This guy and me however have gotten to the stage of being ready to have sex however can I because I havnt restarted periods? My mum said I can't buy I don't know if that's just her way or protecting me? What would happen if I did have sex with him? Please help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise.

I am sorry to hear of your struggles with your eating disorder.

Firstly, it is a very concerning sign for you both mentally and physically if your reproductive organ has shut down for this length of time. One of the consequences of this is a decrease in the chemical oestrogen, which also helps to keep your bones strong. You are unfortunately not only at risk of infertility, but also of osteoporosis. Whilst I know how difficult it can be to talk openly to a doctor about your struggles, it is really important that you take this step due to the symptoms you have described. The long term risks are extremely severe if this is not tackled soon.

With regards to your question about relationships. One of the common symptoms of an eating disorder is decreased libido (sex drive). A sufferer also is at greater risk of depression and severe mood swings, and their vulnerability can make relationships a challenge.  This is not just applicable to sexual relationships, but applicable in friendships, family relationships and in working relationships. You also need to think that with your own vulnerability and feelings surrounding your body, sharing this intimacy with someone is an important decision.

That said, the first sexual relationship I had was with someone at university and having him in my team was incredibly important in helping me gain confidence. So it's not necessarily a negative thing.

Something I also learned relatively recently was regarding my own fertility, and to take extra care. There is some discussion around my treatment team as to whether my periods are "proper periods". (Personally, I have no doubt, because they feel awful enough to be proper...wink), but my treatment team have had some concern given that my weight is still a bit on the low side.

The risk in my court is that they either are not, or that with them returning they have made me super fertile (which does happen). This is another point to be wary of, and hence it's worth taking added precautions if you are having sex.

Depending on your age...obviously at a certain age you are responsible for decisions about sex, it does become your choice. However I would guide you towards maybe tackling your eating issues first. Your body potentially will change, and if you are experiencing discomfort in this, it can be hard letting someone else in in such an intimate way.

Important things to note are that you can still have sex without your periods.

You should take necessary precautions, regardless to whether you are or are not getting your period on a regular basis, because there is still a risk of an egg being fertilised.

Having sex won't restart your period.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thank you so much, that was more help than I could of asked for. I do feel comfortable around him and I would use protection still, so would it be okay to have sex?

Thank you so much for your concern and reply but I am getting help and am nearly at weight restored just one more kg x

• Posted

Hi Louise.

That's really positive news that you are getting help that you need.

It sounds like you have considered the pros and cons of this, and if you are in a relationship with someone you trust, then sometimes this can be really healthy in your recovery.

Sex isn't harmful. Sex is something which is a pleasurable experience of intimacy between two people. 

It's a weird point to bring up, but it may be worth mentioning that your energy levels might not be as high as his. 

Have you discussed any of this with your treatment team? It might be worth having a discussion with them also factoring in how you might deal with any negative feelings that crop up. You might also want to discuss some of the concerns your mother has raised with them e.g. why you think she might be anxious about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.