Please help.. Esophageal cancer?!😞

Posted , 3 users are following.

To start off I am 16 years old yes I know I am young but I can’t get fact of me having esophageal cancer off my head. But let me start off when it first started which was mid November of 2017. I started having major anxiety attacks, I would get dizzy, difficult breathing and stuff like that. So I was taken to hospital and I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I also went 2nd time because I thought I had acid reflux because I would have syptomps like ALOTT of burping even when I have not eaten I would burp and then less than ONE second I would get another one and it would disturb me a lot and this has been for probably 3 years I have this but I would always mucous in back of my throat; it’s always there I don’t know why but I thought it could have been reflux since I would get the mucous even more when I would drink for example Gatorade or even brush my teeth(Cologate tooth paste). So they they gave some omprezale which did absolutely nothing and I went on different type of omprezale which was in little pills which I found actually did help with the burping. But the mucous part I found that it could be cattarh which I am taking nasal spray for and is working out for now. But moving further around February the anxiety attacks were terrible. I didn’t even wanna go to school I would cry to stay home and this lasted for 2 weeks and I would talk to teachers all day because I could not stay calm at all and they knew about this so yea. But after these 2 weeks I became fine and wasn’t scared to go to school or anywhere else. But what also started November was I started getting scared to eat food. Idk why or how it started but I think it was because I use to get difficulty eating when I would have panic attacks which was during dinner sometimes but other times I ate perfectly fine with no trouble but near the end of February till now I can not swallow at all, I am to scared to swallow the only things I can eat is cereal and oatmeal that’s it. I did lose about 9 pounds because of me not eating but when I went to get checked out again for weight I increased 5 more pounds which I guess is good. So now basically I have gotten stuck with the idea of having cancer in esophagus because I did have reflux for while and it is difficult for me to swallow which makes me get anxiety and I’m so scared now. I have met with nutrition team in hospital to help me eat and they also said if I want I can have a barium swallow test be done which would allow me to see how stuff goes down my throat and into esophagus which I thought it would be perfect because it  can also check for other things like cancer but I still don’t get the appointment for that and I’m still not eating proply. I’m dehydrated and lacking of nutrients.. I’m really scared it could esophageal cancer causing difficult eating. Can I get some advice please! 😥 P.S I am very skinny and tall 16 year old kid 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Esophageal cancer is very rare. 

If you've had the endoscopy this would have been picked up.  It shows up any strictures and they would have also taken any biopsies too. 

When you have the barium swallow this will show why you're not managing to swallow. 

If there is a narrowing they can put in a stent to widen your esophagus which will totally help you to eat normally again. 

Remember this type of cancer is extremely rare so try not to worry. 

• Posted

Do you think it’s narrowing or more anxiety because before I ate fine then I couldn’t eat without water now I can’t at all

• Posted

I think you've probably got yourself into a state of anxiety worrying about the worst possible outcome.  If you've had an endoscopy they will have seen any lumps, bumps or inflammation.  They're very accurate and thourough. 

I feel that you are suffering anxiety now and that can cause all kinds of things like your inability to swallow food. 

The mind is a powerful thing. 

I hope you start to manage to de stress and then you'll slowly be able to trust to eat again 

• Posted

I think all of your problems are linked to your anxiety disorder. Even people who suffer an occasional bout of anxiety often find that it's harder to swallow when the anxiety is present because the throat seems too small. I'm not sure why your mind has latched onto the idea of esophageal cancer, but I'd try to put that away and focus on getting your anxiety under control. If you don't, you'll suffer in many areas of your life at a time when you should be relatively stress-free and enjoying life.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. And I know cancer is possible but rare I think for me since I have never suffered from anything but I just got the idea because I’m a idiot looking up stuff in internet. And so the idea of cancer got to me since I have same symptoms. But I want some explantation does anxiety really cause this I still don’t really believe it. 
    • Posted

Absolutely. I don't suffer from anxiety issues, but everyone has stressful times. When I have one of those times, it's very difficult for me to eat. I feel full after a few bites, even if I was starving to start with. Go ahead and have the barium swallow so it will relieve your mind. If there's a physical reason for the tight feeling in your throat it will most likely be totally unrelated to cancer. If there is a physical cause, it will be found and taken care of. The anxiety needs to be dealt with regardless. Good luck to you. Find positive things to focus on while you are taking care of this.

• Posted

Thanks I’ll try my best to stay calm down and think positive! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.