Please help! I can't tell if this is a yeast infection or herpes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been having sex with the same guy for about a month and last Saturday  was the last time we had sex 12/12. On Tuesday I woke up to swollen tonsils with white patches (not bumps) on them so I immediately go to the doctor. They tested for strep (negative) then drew my blood and did a urine sample for all stds (except herpes since I have hsv1 already - she said it would come back a false positive) and HIV. The doctor prescribed me Magic Mouthwash for the next 10 days. On Thursday me and my friend went out drinking and I slept over her house so I didn't check my vagina which I was doing constantly since my swollen tonsils. So Friday I go to inspect myself and I have white lesions on my vulva and on my labia, I'm not sure if it's hsv2 because they have not blistered.....it just looks like a lot of secretion build up. I've been doing research and they said women many times think it's a yeast infection but it's a herpes outbreak. I went back to the clinic and met with a different doctor who gave me medication for chlamydia, gonorrhea, and herpes because he said if I waited to long for the results to come back the chlamydia and gonorrhea could possibly make me infertile.

When you had your first outbreak did it look like a "normal" blister....they are pretty clustered and I don't know if they will blister. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't even know if I have herpes or not . They diagnosed me with it .. But my "outbreak" didn't look like a regular normal outbreak . I didn't crust over or none of that I just had red like bumps and later on I healed up . I thought it was a chemical / 2nd degree burn because I had used nair and I ended up swelling up and breaking out .. I can't even tell you I'm still confused and shocked with this herpes thing. I wanna get another test done but I'm in so much fear that it will come back positive and I will really have to accept that fact that I am indeed diagnosed with this lifelong disease .

It shouldn't take anything but 2-3 days to get that type of test results back. Hell I would rather have chalymdia or gonorrohea anyday then this permanent disease .. Have you talked to the dude you messed around with since December 12th ?

Is he having issues or problems ?

• Posted

I did tell him but he said he wasn't having symptoms so I'm not even sure since it can be dormant or I could have given it to him and he could have given me genital herpes..... This whole thing is so confusing

He did say he had sex with a girl before me but he's only had sex with me since, so I don't know what to believe.

I think you should get another test done and just cry it out with me until your results come in. The doctor put in a herpes culture for me when I went back last night. I just wish there was more research done to at least distinguish type 1 and 2 from each other.

Let me know how everything goes

• Posted

As long as he knows you had it .. Whatever happens next it happens he was well aware . Unlike me Smfh .

How long have you had it ?

Type 1 ? You just get it around your mouth and all that right ? Did you guys use protection when you did what you did ?

I don't even know how all of this works either . It's so confusing to me . I can tell you I would rather have type 1 then type 2 tho I would've rather got a shot of penicillin in the ass then have to possibly/ fully deal with this life long thing.

• Posted

Cry ain't the word I'ma complete utterly mess. Don't know what to do , who to tell ..,

I wanna take suppressive medicine but I don't know if I have it .. I don't think that the doctor would Misinterpet that . I feel like if the results say I have hsv type 2 herpes . Then I do .

• Posted

I've had type 1 since middle school....it's a "fever blister" usually comes during the cold months when your lips aren't moisturized. 

He did put his genitals in mine (should have known better) but we did use a condom but there was still skin contact 

I would have truly rather gotten a shot in the ass 

Yeh I keep having breakdowns in public but I try not to let the tears fall at least 

• Posted

Type 1 just means that you breakout out and around the mouth right ?

So how the hell should that affect a man when you guys have sex ? Ugh this can be so confusing .

You have type 1 very very young !

Are the bumps still there ? Or have they left ?

Does it burn when you pee ? Are they peeling or whatever yet ?

• Posted

Hello!

I just wanted to help clear up a few questions (to the best of my knowledge anyway). I was diagnosed with hsv-1 last year. When I first went to the GYN, I had little tears and sores on my vaginal area (in the space between vaginal hole and ass). I have had little tears before, so I brushed it off for a few days thinking it was due to having sex with my boyfriend or something. Well after a few days the tears started getting worse and multiplying. Until they were HURTING BAD. I finally went to the GYN and she took one look and said its herpes. I was in complete shock. I had only been with my boyfriend, for more than a year, at that time. She said "this is your very first outbreak, so you definitely contracted this from your partner." Anyway, she took a culture and sent it for testing. Meanwhile I told my boyfriend. He was seriously mad, but I think that's because he felt really bad about being the "cause". He went to have blood work done to get tested, and both hsv-1 and 2 came back negative for him!! I was in disbelief. I informered my doctor about his results and she said if they don't know what their looking for specifically, it won't always show in a blood test. That was a fun conversation with my boyfriend. Anyway, so fast forward.... I went home with a prescription for 10 days work of valtrex (the generic kind) all the while thinking "I have genital herpes". I did so much research. Then I received my test results and they came back NEGATIVE for hsv-2 and positive for hsv-1. HOW COULD THAT BE WHEN THE OUTBREAK WAS ON MY GENITALS?! Apparently you can get hsv-1 on your genitals and you can get hsv-2 on your mouth area! I had no idea. I was ecstatic about the news!!!! (Considering...). Anyway, you can contract oral herpes or hsv-1 through oral sex from your partner. Which I am guessing that's how I got mine. My first outbreak was AWFUL and my doctor said the first is always the worst. The pain was so bad while urinating (because the urine would run all over these sores) that I was literally dreading going to the bathroom, putting it off for as long as possible, etc. It's a catch 22, because you want to stay hydrated while on the medication as well as a more diluted urine makes the stinging easier to handle (or so they say, my first outbreak was HELL), but you also don't want to drink Anything to avoid going to the bathroom! Long story, short: Most people don't know you can get hsv-1 on your genitals. And like 80% of the population has hsv-1. First outbreak is the worst and indicates you received it from someone else. My doc said the first outbreak occurs roughly 2 weeks after the initial interaction. After you get over your outbreak, you may have several more outbreaks over a year or two, but you learn what an outbreak looks like and how it starts so you can catch it on day one and get a prescription and just nip it in the bud. None of my outbreaks have even come close to pain like the first episode was. I'm thankful for that. Outbreaks can be brought on by stress, menstrual cycle, etc. Again this is all for hsv-1, I'm not sure about all the details for hsv-2. Hope this helped with some of your questions though! I am still learning as I go. Right now I am trying to determine whether or not I am having an outbreak or a possible yeast infection! Ugh... The symptoms between the two are similar. I got my prescription right away so I may need to wait and see if things improve or get worse. Being a woman is no fun sometimes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.