Please help lansoprazole severe nausea and vomiting

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering from nausea and vomiting for almost 3 years, it used to last anywhere from 24 to 72 hours and then I would be perfectly ok again for up to 7 weeks and when it first occurred I thought I may have a tummy upset but it was happening so regularly that it was obvious that this wasnt the case and it didnt feel like a tummy bug. My gp began investigations after this had been going on a year, endoscopy and ultrasound scan, I already knew I had a hiatus hernia and that wasnt the cause, then covid stopped all investigations , cutting a long story short, its now been 3 years, the nausea is now happening weekly , sometimes I am sick, when it happens I also have a headache , I suffer migraine but this isnt anything like my migraine, saw gastroentrologist 4 weeks ago and he wanted to make sure that it wasnt anything neurological and he ordered a ct scan of the head, that was normal, he now is going to do another stomach scan.

But I have also been on Lansoprazole for many many years and even in this I get acid reflux, I am wondering if this drug has caused anyone else to have this symptom after long term use?

This sickness is so disabling and really getting me down

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm sorry you're going through this. Nausea and vomiting are really miserable symptoms. I'm definitely not a doctor, but two things come to mind. There is a thing call cyclic vomiting syndrome and another is gastroparesis. Have you had a gastric emptying study? If not you may want to inquire. I can't say whether the PPI caused this but I have had impaired digestion after being on omeprazole for a year. If you haven't yet weaned off of your PPI that too could help. Good luck with everything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.