Please help me.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been severely deppressed for 2 weeks now. This isn't the first time I have felt this way, but last time I somehow managed to get out of it. I have always struggled to keep a job and always known I have been different. I have just been diagnosed with dyspraxia, dyslexia and dyscalculia. I don't know how to accept it.

I can't get out of bed in a morning hardly. I am at University and have had to come home. I can't stop chronically worrying about the future, about jobs etc, and I have suicidal thoughts. I don't know what to do anymore.

When I do go out I feel like I'm in a kind of dream state, not really all there and I can't concentrate and am constantly analysing myself and having negative thoughts. I am so in my head. Its scarying me.

I have been diagnosed with citroplam 10mg a week ago, but feel no difference. I really need some help because I do know how to get out this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The citalopram will take a few weeks before it starts working. Sometimes to begin with anti depressant medication can cause you to have suicidal thoughts. If this is happening, you MUST go back to your GP and let them know. It may not be the drug which is best for you. I am sorry you are feeling like this. Just hang on in there, it will get better.
  • Posted

Firstly. it takes up to 2 weeks for ctiroplam to get into the system and for you to feel any benefits.Secondly try and get out and go for a walk. The exercise would be good for you and if you did this regularly you would find the benefits. Give the citroplam another week and if you definitely don't feel any better see your doctor again as there must be other medications you can take.
  • Posted

I completely agree with evergreen, you need to see your doctor ASAP about the suicidal thoughts.

I tried citalopram and it really disagreed with me and I had to stop taking it.

The good news is there are so many other medications out there, it's a bit of trial and error at first getting the right drug at the right dosage, but if you work with your GP you will get there.

The better news is that you've sought help for your depression. This is a really positive step and you should be very proud that you managed to do that.

As for the university, jobs thing... Well all I can say is it is a difficult job market these days, for everyone, not just you so try and not fret so much over this as you can't do much to change it.

What I would say however is that your recent diagnosis don't have to hold you back. You have proven to be able to go to university and get jobs, and there's no reason why with the right support you won't find it easier to hold down a job.

Remember employers are not allowed to discriminate on terms of disability.

I can identify with the feeling of being in your own head too much, I'm always in mine and its completely exhausting! Over analysing yourself and your emotions and the environment you're in is so distracting too.

Often when I'm out I feel my body is out but my brain is working overtime on other things and I really is scary, and tiring.

It's all part of this horrible depression and anxiety though, and hopefully once you get the treatment you need these negative thoughts and feelings will start to leave you.

Good luck with everything and please do speak to your GP.

Take care, best wishes and kind thoughts, x

• Posted

Hi I went through the ame thing.Just because they diagnoise you , donsent make you better. I bet you were diagnoised at university - same as me. They told me and I said ok what now? I suffered with depression and anxiety , the dyslexia semed to get worse because of my mental state , which is actually related to dyslexia.

Many years later I can say I do not care. I know that I think outside the box and I know I am in the 3% of intelligence in the UK.However I cant spell, as you have probably guessed. So what Im trying to say is that do not let it change you , it is part of you , not all of you .It has always been with you , it has now been named thats all. So carry on being the unique person you are and if people dont like it , tough on them. You have joined a very special group of people and remember 1 in 3 dyslexic people are millionaires. It did not stop me, I still  I finished uni with the utter resentment of the lecturers who had to give me extra time and their unreasonable policy of making people with dyslexia read out loud, (they  thought  it helped). So dont restrict yourself , go onto you tube and look at the dinosaur dyslexic professor , he is great he will cheer you up, best of luck            

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.