please help!!! really needing input!! Hsv1?

Posted , 2 users are following.

ok so in August of this year I got a new partner and we had sex (always unprotected) frequently until mid October without any problems. Then in mid October (last month) while semi-under the weather with a sinus infection, I recieved oral sex from my partner while he was actively shedding Hsv1 on his mouth (he had a cold sore)

Within 3 days after he gave me oral sex, I developed a lesion on my anus, and within a day after that, I developed a lesion on my clit, and then the rest of my outbreak followed with small sores which never scabbed and went away rather quickly.

after the uclers were basically all gone - not quite though- , I got a few tiny bumps on my legs which itched, and experienced extreme itching on my anus and inside my vagina. I also got a few tiny bumps on my butt cheeks that also itched. Also, a rash definitely occured around my anal area in between my cheeks. 

Then, I got a small blister on the waterline of my eye, and i'm pretty sure aquired a small lesion inside my nose.

The outbreak in total lasted about 3-3 1/2 weeks, and ended with a pain in my tailbone. I do also remember getting one severe headache which lasted 24 hours if not a little more. I never experienced swollen lymph nodes in my groin (but did have a swollen one under my jaw), and was running a fever of 100 degrees fahrenheit for one night.

I asked my partner to ask his ex girlfriend about her history and **SHOCKER** she apparently revealed that she was diagnosed with genital herpes around 7 years ago (doesn't know the strain). He however, has never had any symptoms of GH. They were together on and off for a year and also had unprotected sex.

my partner does get coldsores on his lips, so I know he must carry Hsv1, and when I asked him, he said he is pretty postive that he didn't get cold sores before he was with his ex girlfriend. I personally don't recall ever getting cold sores in my life, meaning I don't think i've ever had oral HSV1 before.

I went to the doctor a few days after my initial sores and they culture swabbed for herpes and it came back negative but obviously i'm feeling pretty positve that I definitely have GH. I also was positive for BV but negative for all STI's. I was prescribed valtrex by my doctor based on the looks of the sores but never picked up the prescription because I don't have enough money, this is also why I haven't gone back for a blood test.

i'm asking my partner to go get blood tested. I'm so devasted because i'm only 20 and I had no intention of making any kind of lifetime commitment with my partner, especially not a virus.

really hoping for HSV1 due to the cold sore and the outbreak which occurred right after oral sex-- what do you guys think?? would really like some input.

Also - I'm just confused because if the ex girlfriend has genital herpes, and he has oral herpes, how does that work? She had genital herpes and he aquired oral herpes? it doesn't sound right to me. I'm not sure if I recieved herpes from his cold sore or from sex, but i'm so scared!

really really am crossing my fingers to have HSV1 though.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would also like to add that everything about the ex girlfriend is not solid information. he texted me what she allegedly said about being diagnosed with herpes- I don't think he's lying but I'm also not positive it's the truth. Just though i'd establish that in case its helpful at all.
  • Posted

More than likely HSV-1, based on your post. The ex-gf is pretty irrelevant, imo, unless she had HSV-2. Your bf has oral herpes, like the vast majority of the population, and he could well have had outbreaks as a child that he no longer remembers. Doesn't really matter either way.

Viral cultures don't always detect herpes, as they are less sensitive/accurate. PCR/DNA swabs are far better, but more expensive. If your bf already has oral herpes, I don't see the point in him doing the IgG antibody blood test. Better he put that money towards your blood test! Recommended window period for HSV IgG testing is 3-4 months from exposure/infection.

If positive, especially for HSV-1, you will not know the location of your infection (only a swab can pinpoint location). Could be oral, genital or both (sounds like you may have it in both?). HSV-2 nearly always occurs genitally, so a positive for that can be assumed to be a genital infection.

• Posted

help!! I thought my initial outbreak ended, but I just discovered 2 new pimple looking sores? they looked different from the other ones I've had. also experiencing itching with small red bumps on my legs. this doesn't make sense, this would put the outbreak at around 5 weeks. what is wrong with me sad
    • Posted

but so soon? my first outbreak ended about 3 weeks ago to my knowledge...

also I don't know if I'm imagining it but I'm feeling quite itchy in many places.

I can't see a doctor until I switch insurances January 1st..

• Posted

I meant to say two weeks ago
    • Posted

Some people clear up and don't outbreak again for months, even longer, while others are hit with another outbreak soon after, sometimes repeatedly. Herpes behaves differently from person to person, with respect to frequency, severity, triggers, etc. Makes it such a frustrating disease to understand and predict, as there are few hard and fast "rules"! Hopefully, your outbreak will clear up soon and go dormant for a while. You can also consider acyclovir, which is cheaper than valacyclovir (Valtrex), but requires more frequent dosing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.