Please help, what is up with my hip?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So im a 16 year old gymnast, and ive been having hip pain in my left hip for the past couple of months. I have seen a physio but she wanted another guy to take a look next week. I was just womdering if anyone could give me their opinion of what it could be. It pretty much always has an achey pain, it worse when im doing stuff at the gym (splits, jumps etc...) It is quite bad when i am just sitting or laying in bed and is always painful after training.... Ive looked it up but i can't really find anything, does anyone have any ideas..???? Thanks in advance

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hiya. May I ask what country you are in.

? The health service is different in different countries! Most physios that are professionally trained are good at spotting a SUFE. So it's good they haven't zipped you urgently into your health service. Are you male or female please?

Do you have normal movement of your hip , normal rotation?

Thanks.

• Posted

Hey, im from england and im a girl. i have normal movement of the hip for every day activites, but i struggle in gymnastics to hit all the positions that i need like splits and stuff that involves large hip movement.
    • Posted

Never heard of a SUFE in a female. If you are worried by it or suspect it to be a SUFE go to A and E at your local hospital urgently. Don't hang around.
    • Posted

My son was in hospital with 2 girls with s u f e and from what I have read it can effect either gender
    • Posted

Hello there. I am also a female that had a SCFE. Had my left hip pinned at age 11 and a THR at age 25. Hope your recovery has been smooth!

• Posted

Hi. Thanks, i went to the doctor and he thinks that it may be bursitis of the hip but he isnt 100% sure as it isnt reacting to certain exercises as it should so he is concerned. The pain has spread now and is now more painful then ever in my hip and groin and sometimes my knee. he is going to hopefully send me for a scan soon so he knows what it is. 
    • Posted

i know i'm extremely late but what ended up happening? I'm experiencing the same sort of thing

• Posted

Hi,

So I was sent for an mri scan and it was diagnosed as a combination of very weak and stiff hip muscles and Femoroacetabular impingement, which is when the ball and socket of the hip he joint don't fit together 100% correctly. I was given more exercises to do and injections that help with the pain, they said in some cases surgery was needed but but because of my age and my gymnastics they wouldn't do that. It is okay now, it still gives me some pain but I am coping.

I hope you are okay and that it is solved soon. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.