Pleural effusion and drainage

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi to all!

My dad had pleural effusion (malignant, because of lung adenocarcinoma), which accumulates last few months. In that time we started with immunotherapy (three cycles until now) and after first therapy pleural effussion escalate so doctor decided to pleural drainage. Drainage was successful and my dad started to breathe much more easier. But after drainage there was liquidopneumothorax with some air and liquid in lungs. So they put pleural catheter with bag and send my father at home. We have to empty this bag every day and write down the volume of drained liquid from lungs.

Now, after two weeks volume of liquid went down from 500 ml daily to 250 ml daily. Doctor said that we have to go down to at least 100 ml daily so he can pull out tube. My dad is pretty impatient with this and kepps asking mw when will this drainage end, because of discomfort of it.

How long does it take for pleural effusion to resolve, and what if we never go down to 100 ml daily?

BTW, my dad, except of this discomfort, feels ok, no cough, saturation ok, breathing every day more and more easily (maybe immunotherapy started to work finaly).

Sory for my bad english...

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.