Pleurisy, further attacks and exhaustion...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have just got over pleurisy. I have had several chest infections since July and then all of a sudden on the Thursday mornng when I got up to get ready for work, I noticed stabbing pains when I breathed in and cough. I thought I'd pulled a muscle and tried to ignore it during the day at work taking some ibuprofen. I went to meet some friends after work for a couple of drinks and the pain got so intense and I was struggling for breath as could only manage short shallow intakes, then of course you start panicking which doesnt help with your breathing! My friends had the bar staff call an ambulance as they were very worried, I couldn't walk except grip my chest under my left breast where the pain was. The ambulance took me to the hospital and after waiting 2 hours to see a doctor they gave me codeine 30mg, paracetamol and another larger pink tablet that I have no idea what it was. This cocktail eased off the pain somewhat. Anyway, the hospital diagnosed pleurisy and said based on my history of recent chest infections that is what it had stemmed from.

The hospital gave me a packet of codeine and told me to take a week of work, and rest. As it was viral they couldnt give me antibiotics as they wouldnt work. However, by the end of the first week, although the pain had slightly eased off to enable me to breath a little better, the sharp stabbing pain was still there and I was so fed up of laying down and not seeing a soul for a week, that i went back to the doctors. The doctor gave me a course of antibiotics just in case there was any lingering infection that was hindering my recovery and Tramadol which, combined with ibuprofen and paracetamol was much more effective than the codeine.

I took two works off work in total, thankfully by the Thursday of the second week, it had more or less gone just a slight pain noticeable when not taking painkillers.

I was wondering what the likelihood is of me getting pleurisy again. I've had a fairly bad run of health this year so I'm quite worried mainly about taking more time off work. I'm a 25 year old woman and usually fit and well work 9-5 as a PA. My job is a little stressful at times but I try not to let myself get wound up as stress I know can contribute to a poor immune system. I am also absolutely exhausted still - how long do the feelings of exhaustion last? I am literally going home after work and getting my pj's on and laying down in bed. I'm not really that interested in food although just eating for the sake of it, mainly fruit and toast.

Sorry for the long winded post - just wanted to give you background! :D

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am you right now. I'm in so much pain I'm wandering if I should call an ambulance. Also. 25 year old woman, been coughing for 6 weeks. Was on antibiotics but no one could really tell me what wrong with me. The pain started just over 2 weeks ago. After 2 visits to A&E they finally told me I had pleurisy. Sharp pain in right side that gradually has moved to both sides, back and centre of chest. Coughing is so painful! They gave me co codomal which I have almost finished. Went to dr yesterday as I was worried it might be something else. She suspects I had whooping cough and now have pleurisy, doctors in this country don't seem to believe or care about pleurisy. I woke up early this morning, had slight coughing fit (which has irritated my chest) and now I can barley move. My right side is experiencing sharp pains - that kind of go on for 5 seconds. Any movement causes it, even placing my foot down on the floor to move. How long did yours last? I don't know how much longer I can do this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.