PMR and IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

What would we do without acronymns!

I've had PMR for 2 years, and am down to 7 mg a day of prednisone.  I have noticed, however increasing problems with IBS as I've come down on the prednisone dosage.

1.  Is there a relationship between PMR and IBS?

2.  Is prednisone known to help with IBS?

Thank you 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bob, I've never heard of any relationship between PMR and IBS.  However, it's very likely that as inflammation is involved in IBS, Prednisolone could relieve the symptoms, especially at the higher doses, only to find it rearing its ugly head again as the Pred dose is reduced as you are unfortunately experiencing now you're at 7mg.
  • Posted

Is it really IBS? Have you been checked for all the other things that are similar before you were told that was what it was? Most gPs will just say "IBS" - when it could be Crohns or colitis, both of which can be autoimmune in origin and yes, pred will calm them down too.
    • Posted

Hmmm....  well I've been told that if I wrote an article describing my symptoms, it could be entered into a medical journal as a textbook case of IBS.  I don't think my symptoms have ever led any of my doctors towards Crohns or Colitis. 

Asides, when my PMR started, I was not experiencing the severity of the IBS symptoms that I'm currently experiencing.  

So I'll certainly keep all this in mind while I continue to decrease my Prednisone SLOWLY.

Thanks Eileen

• Posted

Since I've started a daily regimine of probiotics pill (s), my what I called Prednisone poop has improved so much. Sometimes healthy poops twice a day! 

I didn't know before that Magnesium can also make poops icky, so I don't take as much and take it every other day. 

I'm down to 5 mg Pred.

Dont know what symptoms you are experiencing. But do look into stomach health perhaps. Wish best for you. Crones people sometime do take Pred. My ENT Doctor wouldn't agree that Pred caused my stomach acid reflux. He said he gives Pred for some stomach issues. Now my doctors agree. A bit too late. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.