PMR and Nordic Walking

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have always been a keen walker but with the onset of PMR at 65 my walking has been seriously affected. Just before I was put onto the Pred I struggled to mange a few hundred yards. I have now been on Pred for about 4 months and back on a high dose again after trying to reduce too quickly but I can usually manage to walk about a mile a day and sometimes 3 on a good day. I think it is important to exercise as much as is reasonably possible to help to reduce the muscle wasting effects that the Pred is known to have.

I have recently been trying Nordic Walking with great deal of success and I think that others with PMR might benefit too.

Firstly, it exercises the arms and shoulders, and to some extent the neck, which is where my PMR started. Secondly, it takes a bit of load of the legs which is where I am having the most trouble at the moment, and thirdly it is very much easier going up steep hills. The effect is quite dramatic, it’s almost like having 4 legs!

There are several websites which explain the principals of Nordic Walking and how to use and chose the poles. Some parts of the UK even run courses on it but I doubt that this is really necessary. The poles are available on-line at quite reasonable prices but I would advise against buying the adjustable ones. The adjustable part tends to slip, I had to modify mine so now they fixed length.

Mr A

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I can't speak from personal experience - although I have PMR my legs are not too bad, but my husband went on a course earlier this year, run for free, by Help the Aged. I think it was 8 sessions round about here (Guildford). Not everyone got the hang of Nordic walking immediately,( is it left leg, left arm forward together or opposite?) and also there was a big emphasis on warming up exercises before and warming down after. He was lent poles to get the right height - again there were quite a few to try. It might be worth people trying around to see if there are any courses for them locally!

I see what you mean about going up hills; the slightest gradient has me really slowing up! I sat around far too much when I first had PMR as nobody told me how important it is to keep exercising even when you hate the thought, so then I lost a lot of muscle tone! Another thing I have learnt from this very useful forum......

Keep up the good work, Green granny smile

• Posted

Mr A - what a fascinating sounding experience you have contributed in the way of Nordic Walking. I have never heard of it 'til now but will certainly look into it as I could do with all advice available to help my muscle tone having spent 3 months in bed during 2006 due to failure of being diagnosed. Heaven knows what that did to my muscles. However, I do walk at least one and a half miles every day (in the evening now as apparently that's a good time to walk and keep the weight off). I also do Tai Chi. The only thing that bothers me is the poles you mention.....I seem to have a problem walking into things these days (I'm sure PMR or steroid induced) and giving myself bumps and bruises all over, so goodness only knows what I'd get up to in charge of any poles!

Green Granny - I really had a chuckle at your description \"left leg, left arm forward together or opposite\" which just put me in mind of the hokey cokey and I couldn't stop giggling. Oh it's so good to be able to laugh amidst all the trials and tribulation of PMR!

Thanks for such a positive entry, Mr A, and all the very best.

MrsO

• Posted

Mrs O, you've just set me off! All together now..........

Seriously, it sounds fascinating - first time I've heard about it. I'm a bit dubious about the poles, too, considering the problems I have with a saucepan handle at times (why won't they keep still?). Anywayl, I'll try anything once...

Feeling heaps better today. No pain in leg at all, wowee!

A 'good' goodnight to all.

Nefret

• Posted

Hi Nefret, Will show you the Nordic pole things next Monday - like the rather posh walking sticks that \"serious \" walkers use these days, extendable etc. We have found the so called \"adjustable\" bit is quite dodgy. If you are putting a lot of weight on some bit of plastic you don't want to feel it's going to suddenly collapse under, or with you!! I think it's more getting them long enough and with a proper end so they get a grip on the ground - my husband's came with a rubber end for pavement and a sort of miniature umbrella bit for muddy areas. Sorry that doesn't sound one bit clear - I could draw it better. Think ski sticks. Hubby did feel a bit embarrassed doing Nordic walking in town tho'.

Obviously Nordic walking does exercise the whole body a lot more than just my usual pootle along. I was horrified, having had 10 days away, when I wasn't walking at all, well only 200 metres at most, and doing a lot of sitting around on the beach (Ireland of all places!) how quickly my ordinary walking had deteriorated. Just about 1/2 mile yesterday got me quite tired!! It has made me really aware that I personally need a definite programme of exercise, and need to be upgrading it. Like others I have a lot of muscle tone to make up, not because of lack of diagnosis but because nobody told me that I needed to keep going. One's natural reaction to pain, I guess, is stop moving the part that hurts!! I am exploring something called Modified Pilates at the moment. Will report back. Green granny

• Posted

Green Granny and Nefret

Don't hit each other with the poles on Momday and do not forget to let us know how you get on together.

Explore Power Plates, other patients find them excellent, less strain than Pilates or Modified Pilates.

Me I don't know about either - can't walk far enough yet. But improving.

Aqau Aerobics recommended as well as swimming - water supports you.

• Posted

Hi, I like the sound of the nordic walking, I have one stick that I think is the right kind, will have to invest in another. Mine is adjustable and stays firmly in place, but I have never altered it and my partner tightened it for me so it may be down to strong hands (which i don't have!).

I thought I'd also pass on the title of a book my gp recommended several years ago - before I got pmr I had osteoarthritis diagnosed in my neck. He suggested a book called 'treat your own neck' by Robin McKenzie. He gives some simple neck exercises which can be done (gently) even when the neck is very stiff and painful. I have done them twice a day ever since and am convinced my neck movement would be very limited by now if I hadn't plus I would have even more pain than I do in that area - I strongly recommend the book, just wish there was something similar for the hips!

Just had a vision of the streets filling up with unsteady people walking with poles!! Could be a health and safety risk!

Barbara

• Posted

You know, I think my mother had one of those poles - I remember looking at it and wondering what it was - it seemed to be too long for her and she rarely used a stick anyway. Can't remember what happened to it.

Mrs. K - please don't tell Green Granny, but I'm arranging jousting matches for Monday. Mrs. O wants to make sure there is enough room for us to do a Highland Fling (crossed poles, of course). She will be demonstrating the Welsh version. I'm expecting to be thrown out for unbecoming behaviour as I will be doing my impersonation of a robotic gorilla (that's what I was told I looked like recently).

Barbara - please don't set me off giggling again- I'm a Health and Safety risk all on my own!

At the moment I'm still tripping off to the doctor's practically every other day (tripping is the operative word, although I suppose stumbling, staggering or limping would be just as good) as the Warfarin dose is still not stable - it's either too much or not enough. Looking on the bright side, it adds another mile to my walking each time I go there.

I am feeling very much better this end of the week; although the leg is still painful at times, it's nothing like it was 10 days ago and so far the reduced Pred dose doesn't seem to be having any ill effects.

I'm really looking forward to Monday (if they let me go now).

Nefret

• Posted

I looked up Nordic Walking on the internet and found some fascinating demonstrations. Have also found an instructor in Staines which is near to my home and interestingly she is also trained in Tai Chi, massage and medical issues. Will contact her once I am a little more pain-free - I have just reduced down from 5mgs to 4mgs but unusually for me although the discomfort is a little worse it does not show in the ESR/CRP blood tests this time....they are completely normal. Each time I have reduced at this stage in the past the inflammation markers have increased and I have therefore had to increase the steroids. Now I am trying to tough it out on this reduced dose for another couple of months, having taken 5 weeks to reduce. I know there are a few people whose PMR has never manifested itself in high ESR/CRP markers, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this situation for the first time during the course of their treatment.

Nefret - re me doing the Welsh version of the Highland Fling across the Nordic walking poles on Monday, I can only think that either you've got a vivid imagination or you have been downing a tipple or two - not wise with Warfarin - you'll be seeing little green men next! Seriously though, it's so good to hear that you are feeling so much better. I, too, look forward to Monday.

MrsO

• Posted

Do you know, I have really enjoyed these posts on Nordic walking and had a good laugh and a giggle.

I am seriously thinking of investing in a pole.

Laughter is the best medicine and I think I may use Poles in a newsletter.

Keep on smiling and eventually we will all come out at the other side, never let it be said that PMR and GCA defeated us - it may come close sometimes - but out their are cyber mates.

• Posted

I've been trawling as well - at the moment I can't find anyone nearer than Reigate - which is a no-no. I did find lots of pictures of people in circles, putting their left pole in, left pole out .............no, don't start that again.

Anything to keep you amused, Mrs. K. I do need to let you know that Mrs. O is completely wrong. Yes, I do have a vivid imagination but after a tipple or two (three?....four...?) it isn't little green men I see, it's those bl**dy gremlins - you know, the PMR gremlins, the ones who knock you down, push you over, trip you up, knock things out of your hands and generally create havoc.

Poor Mr A - he must be wondering what on earth he's started - if Barbara's vision of streets full of unsteady people Nordic walking materializes, the little green men will take one look and head for home!

Happy weekend!

Nefret

• Posted

Poor Mr A must be thinking \"All these mad women - I didn't realise PMR effected the mind as well!\"

Sorry, Mr A, but sometimes it's a question of either laughing or crying!

Seriously tho' it's very interesting to hear about the different forms of exercise that have helped people. The only time I looked up power plates they just seemed very expensive things to buy. Can anyone tell me whether they are available in the average gym or fitness centre, or do physios use them?

I am putting away anything that could be used as a lethal weapon in my house although I presume that doesn't include a cup of coffee! Well, I suppose we could throw them at each other.......... anyway they say laughing is very therapeutic so hopefully we shall all be feeling very much healthier tomorrow.By Bye, Green granny

• Posted

I was so glad to see that I seem to have started a thread looking at a lighter side of PMR and very amaused by all your comments.

At the risk of causing further ammusement I thought I might drag my old bike out of the shed this morning, as I was feeling much better today, and see how I got on with that. It is some time since I have been on it, may be a couple of years but as it was early on a Sunday morning with no traffic so I thought I would give it a go. I did manage about 2 miles or so most of on the flat and that was fine, but any hills posed quite a problem, even in the lowest gear, and then balance was a problem as I was going too slowly! I think that PMR may affect my balance slighty anyway.

So, I think I will stick with the Nordic Walking!

Mr A

• Posted

Hi all, from a Nordic country....

I recognise the poles and method of walking. They suddenly became popular here a few years ago. I imagine the idea came from cross country skiing; there are several ways of propelling your self forward on cross country skis, and one of them is akin to striding, using the poles to stop you sliding backwards.

For training purposes during the non-snowy periods the experts use a kind of ski on tiny wheels, like a long thin roller skate, to \"ski\" on dry land, again using the poles to push themselves along.

From there it was a short stretch of the imagination to come up with the idea of using the same poles whilst striding in normal shoes; hence the Nordic Walking.

My wife bought a pair of the poles, but she's too busy picking berries to use them at the moment.

Nice to see your still keeping in touch here.

For the record; 2yr 2month on pred; been down to 5mg/day but back up to 7mg/day because PMR fought back. No bad side effects to report.

All the best; davblo - Sweden

• Posted

Hi there, Mr. A. How nice of you to be amused rather than cross that we hijacked your Nordic Walking thread. I'm having trouble getting my head round Nordic cycling (which came into my mind as I read your posting - my mind is very unruly at times). Guess it would be like rowing! But good for you for giving the bicycle a go. I can't even think about getting on one!

As regards the balance - yes, a lot of us find that we're somewhat unsteady at times, which is why the Nordic walking is interesting us - the poles would possibly give us some support. The PMR has had me by the legs for quite a while now and of course, like all the symptoms, the unsteadiness varies day to day. Some days I can't even walk in a straight line (no, Mrs. O, not the brandy - well, only a small one).

Do let us know how it goes!

Davblo - nice to meet you, I've seen some of your other postings. Thanks for the information - I think I'm going to have trouble somewhere along the line as I have trouble with lefts and rights, but my struggles will keep a lot of people amused.

Sorry you've had to go up again with the Pred - that's PMR for you! Lucky you having few side effects, though - I've noticed that the men don't seem to get as many or as much as the women do which makes me go green with envy.

Have a good week all of you!

Nefret

• Posted

Hi everyone

Just had to let you know that I embarked on the first session of my Nordic Walking programme today and no I didn't poke the pole anywhere other than in the ground, before any of you ask! :lol:

Felt somewhat apprehensive as the day of my first lesson drew near (especially following my recent unsuccessful trip to the hydrotherapy pool!) but the sun was shining, the expert instructors were lovely and, miracle of miracles, I managed to put the left leg and the right pole forward at the same time!

The class started with warm-up exercises and ended with cool-down exercises. Stomach toning and back strengthening exercises were included and we were told about one lady who had increased her bone density following the take-up of Nordic Walking. To sum up, a fantastic experience, can't wait for next week's class by which time I hope to have received my new Gor-tex shoes, the only downside being wet feet as we were walking on the early morning grass.

For anyone who is at a comfortable enough stage of PMR to be able to walk for at least half an hour, I thoroughly recommend this sport. Your legs are helped by the support of the poles and the story of the increase in bone density speaks for itself.

The free 8-week programmes are run by Age Concern through a fitness scheme called 'Fit as a Fiddle' (information can be found on Google as to location) and the instructors are very qualified people who remind you to stop if anything hurts.

Mr A, if you are still looking in, many thanks for the recommendation.

Love to all,

MrsO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.