PMR and PsA

Posted , 5 users are following.

Rheumatologist today wants to add methotrexate as he thinks I also have PsA.

Been on prednisone since February, and C-reactive levels have doubled. 

Have been trying to taper down: 12.5 and he wasn’t happy with that until he saw my labs.  Now increased to 15.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If your rheumatologist wants to start you on MTX for PsA, don't wait start immediately!

Early treatment and aggressive treatment for PsA is recommended and is necessary for the best results. See UK Arthritis Research and NICE

Bit surprised you've been on a steroid since Feb, were there no blood tests carried before then? That's a long time and not very desirable in terms of side effects.

Are you in the UK? If not, one feature of MTX is that its cheap! 

You normally start the drug at a lower dose, anything from 5/7.5mg per week for a woman, with a gradually increasing dose. Alternatively, you might be prescribed an injectable dose.

Worked for me but took a while - it does need regular blood tests though! After a few years, my liver objected and I had to come off. In the UK in order to access Biologic therapy such as Etanercept / Certolimuzab Pego, two traditional DMARDS must be tried first (Drug Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs)

Patience is required though as it takes time (3months) to find out whether it works for you 

• Posted

Wow... thank you!  I have blood work every 6 mos for thyroid issues.  For some reason, my rheumatologist didn’t receive my blood work last month.  

I did remind him that I’d had nasty psoriasis, and have been experiencing swelling...   then something kicked in , and now am going for a tetanus check.   I live in the US... and have good insurance thankfully.   Good luck 🍀 

• Posted

How can I help

BOB

• Posted

Thank you!   Just getting as much information as I can .   Been diagnosed with PMR since February.  On prednisone... not getting great results.  Dr thinks I may have PsA.   And that seems like a worse prognosis.    

I’m 51, so surprised with the PMR diagnosis.  

And concerned about being on prednisone for so long.

• Posted

Megan 

It you are going to take MTX, used to reduce reactive immune system you need to start as soon as offered and see how you go. This drug was used as a Cancer medication in the past. If you are able to get through the initial side affects they will generally introduce you to a -TNF medication to work in conjunction with the MTX.

The hospital will arrange blood to be taken every month and sometimes the drugs can cause a yellow type bruise that are quite sore.

MTX dose will increase until they find a good, general working dose

There is a site PAPPA  on the internet that deals with PsA and associated skin problems. Look on internet.

BOB

• Posted

Yes there are better medications, including other DMARD drugs like Sulphersalazine The problem I have is I cannot take these medications , given that they will not allow me to take Biologics as the price of these drugs are very expensive. They need plenty bangs out of bucks in the use of DAMARD drugs before introducing you to BIOLOGICS.

DMARD medications can make me terribly ill. I think now I have tried them all over the last thirty years, and I rely on various new creams etc. Also Cox 2 inhibitors to calm my joint damage. I take Tramadol 50 to control my pain and TENS.

BOB

• Posted

Hi Megan

FRom experience Methertrexate is one of the older meds. It made me very sick and I took it many yrs ago. Any dr I tell them about the meds they say there are much better things out there that Methotrexate is old schools. Did you ask your DR about the new biologics or Otezla? Every med works different but I did not like it I felt horrible and sick and went off of it and there are much better meds out there

• Posted

This medication suppresses the immune system thus slowing down the damage caused to your afflicted areas of the skin and joint damage

They will take regular blood tests to check and make sure your white blood count is still working well.

Steroids are generally given over short, intensive periods especially if your condition is very active.

With DMARDS you may be introduced to Biologic Medications, both groups of medication can be used in the treatment of Cancer type illnesses. Hopefully your PSA will calm given time

BOB

• Posted

Megan am 77 now. I was originally diagnosed with PMR in 2008. On Prednisone 15 mg down to

2.5 till 2014. It took care of the pain but everytime I went down to less than 5 a lot of the joint

pain would return. after seeing 2 additional Rheumatologists I was diagnosed with PsA in June 2014. Placed on Remicade Infusion every 6 weeks. Worked well till Dec 2018 when I got a fungal

infection that went wild with the Remicade. Went on Stelara injections every 3 months. That

worked well till spring of 2022 when medicare decided not to cover it under part B. I am now

starting Cimzia. I had my first loading dose my next one 2 weeks and 1 more 2 weeks after that.

Then every 4 weeks. I also have been on 20 mg Methotrexate with the Stelara 1/wk and will continue it with the Cimzia. I also have Hypothyroid and Take synthroid. I would try the Methotrexate and see how it goes. I was very lucky to find a Rheumatologist that is very

knowledgeable about PsA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.