PMR and repetitive movements

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm really in need of working my body. Now with osteoporosis diagnosis and so much muscle loss and Trocanteric Hip pain back, and other PMR pains still there when my Pred wears off... 

I need to exercise, but I'm confused...

I know, low reps. I should repeat several times a day, but forget. 

I'm about to start PT again for hip and will make sure this guy doesn't make me work out to failure like my last experience, ugh.

I have a video for Qi Gong, but I don't like it as he seems to stay with same motion for so long. But as I type this I realize I could just stop and focus on breathing exercises...ha, answered that question.

My butt muscles are so gone now I struggle to keep pants up. 

I do squat exercises but am I doing enough? I feel fairly strong, but I weigh so little now perhaps it doesn't take much. 

I lift weights for my biceps, they actually look pretty good for a woman, Hee, Hee. 

I know we are all different, when I feel good I try to do a little and I mean little extra, but sometimes I'll have new pain. Yoga I can do pretty well, but do tend to push myself...is it too much? I don't know. It is a gentle yoga class, very slow, I like it,,good teacher.

Not sure what I'm asking y'all but maybe just need to hear what others are going through. Those who still feel pains, what kind of exercises are you doing? Yes, I'm back up to a whoppin' mile walking, but sure would like to do more. 

Do you walk several times a day? I walk a lot around house but does that count? Yes, better than sitting I know. 

So...how much to some of you do? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I, like many with the diagnosis of OP, am taking more care with my diet to make sure I get the micronutrients needed - harder nowadays because of our degenerated food supply.  Exercise is what you asked about.  I walk.  My pedometer is a great incentive.  I always aim for 10,000 steps per day, this includes all my activity, not just a dedicated walk or two, and I feel I should this summer start working up to a higher number.  Often go to 12,000 or more anyway.  A few times a week I wear a weighted walking vest, mostly to counteract the effects of having lost weight so that I'm fifteen pounds lighter than I was most of my adult life.  I've taken up Nordic walking, which is quite a workout, especially for my PMR-weakened shoulders, but I understand this can increase density of the upper spine, so worth the effort.  I've also taken up tai chi, and am gradually mastering it.  Ongoing, and much of which I've done for many years, are physio and yoga exercises.  I do those in the mornings when I get up, even before breakfast and pred, and in the evenings with the tv for company to avoid boredom, physio exercises being the most boring movements on the planet.  My physiotherapist is very kind to me and has not given me anything that will exacerbate PMR.  You need to make sure your therapist understands PMR, and takes your concerns seriously.  The exercises my therapist has given me (added to long-standing regimen from the past) concentrate on strengthening the core, strengthening and aligning my neck, aligning my spine, and increasing or maintaining range of motion in my shoulders.  Many of these new exercises involve lying on a long hard foam tube, about six inches diameter.
    • Posted

How much weight in your weighted vest Anhaga? I assume you worked up to a max weight? Do you wear it around house, or specific times, or doing specific things? I have a padded scuba diving belt with weights I could use and even add ankle weights to it perhaps.

cycling bothered my hip and upper back, so I stopped, but I think I might be able to try again, slowly increasing. I rode my outside bike for small loop but hit some holes in ground, that might have started my lower back pains again, darn, darn. Or it was something else, or lowering to 5 mg Pred. 

I just watched  a video that explains yoga and was surprised to learn that yin yoga or restorative that holds pose long time was good for people aging as the connective tissues get dry and brittle. Said it restores moisture? I feared holding those poses, but I tried it anyway, will see what comes of it. Didn't realize connective tissue got dry and brittle, and I'm betting Pred has helped that become that way too, maybe. 

I'm so flexible anyway I didn't think I needed to hold those poses, perhaps that's silly of me to think after all.

I was wondering how many reps with weights or even body resistance or tubes (those eleastic bands) some of the Physios have told people here on our forum. those who have found a physio that understands PMR that is.

• Posted

My vest will hold as much as twenty pounds.  I started with five.  I can add small weights (seven equal about one pound) as I wish.  Currently carrying about seven pounds.  I would eventually like to work up to ten or even fifteen pounds, but I keep forgetting to wear it....  

Finally, after nine months, I've been registered for a special program offered by the local hospital for people like me with "low bone mass" and high fracture risk.  I was wondering how to present myself for the first session.  I should definitely use my Nordic poles when I walk there, plus I could wear my weighted vest.  If I can find one, I could also wear a tai chi t-shirt!  cool

• Posted

Layne, re physio - none of my current exercises require the use of elastic bands.  Their use would be tailored to your specific needs, as would the number of repetitions.  In my experience the repititions were limited, maybe three to ten times depending what the exercise was designed to do.  
  • Posted

I may not be typical PMR patient, but I walk at least 3 times a day, and total is about 5-6Km ( 5Km ~3.2miles). During the walk in the morning, I spend 10 min or so stretching.

I addition to regular walks, which I have to do since I have hyper dog, I also do biking and swimming every second day, so on the average I do 3 session, one hour each.  Keep in mind that I was very active before PMR, so it was easier for me to restart it. If you are starting anew, be very gentle and dont' increase your time and/or intensity more then 10% every 2 weeks or so.

Commnets on reps that you find on this forum are relatied to weight lifting.  They dont apply to regular areobic exercise. If you have hip issue, maybe some activity in a water would be better or if you can bike. In any case pick something up that you like, the chances are you will do it more often.

• Posted

If you are looking for exercise to densify your bones, swimming is not helpful - good for muscles but not for bones as the water is bearing your weight.  I understand that cycling is not espcially useful for OP either, although as Nick says it, like swimming, can be great for PMR.  You might find it helps your hip, too.  My husband says using his exercise bike helps his hips.  
    • Posted

and his lower back.   He doesn't have OP, OA or PMR though.  wink
  • Posted

Yes - every movement counts. Get a pedometer and see how much it adds up. That is what the study to be done in the north of England will do - giving patients a target to get to on the pedometer and then gradually increasing over time.

If you do something and are fine the next day - it was OK. If it wasn't - do a bit less next time and build up the amount VERY slowly. You learn your limits and stick to them (or are prepared to suffer but that may not be good, only you can tell). I did yoga and Pilates but I knew where to stop.

Have you tried splitting the walking? I can usually do about 50-60 mins - but I can (just) walk the 40 mins into town, have a break and then walk back. Occasionally the trochanteric bursitis starts to pinch shortly before home but so far I've made it back.

• Posted

Hi Layne from Texas, I want to send you a gentle hug- it makes us to feel good to receive a good word!

Wish you will be able to manage the best you can your symptoms - osteoporosis, etc

Take good care of you, Layne.

🌺

• Posted

Thanks everybody, and Iellen for hug wink 

I wanted to share this... Though I am going to try another Pysio next week and ask lots of questions.... I have figured out for me regarding my painful hip...after sitting even 10-15 min and standing it hurts to walk, so before I take a step I stand tall, squeeze my buttocks ( Hee, Hee, not with my hands but I engage my gluteus), shift weight to left leg, do 5 leg curls (lift foot up from knee behind my body) with right leg.  I am surprisely able to walk pain free. Yea!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.