PMR and Vasculitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I am confused.  I recently read here on this forum that PMR is a form of vasculitis, but when I research vasculitis PMR is not listed as one if its forms.

I can understand why it has been said (on this forum) that vasculitis IS a form of PMR, since vasculitis is an inflammation of the blood vessels -- and of course so is PMR.  But if that's the case, why isn't PMR listed as one of the forms of vasculitis?

I tend to think this is important, since vasculitis can lead to vital organ problems if not properly addressed.  I didn't know I had to be concerned with vital organ problems.  I thought I was dealing primarily with blood vessel inflammation of the legs, shoulders, etc.

I'm confused.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bob

The jury is out amongst the professionals at present.

When you were diagnosed with PMR, the person who diagnosed you should have told you all the symptoms of GCA and what to watch out for.   This is because, currently they call it a 'sister' illness.

If you think about it if the oxygen and blood supply are having difficulty getting into the muscles, it is arteries and veins that take that supply to those muscles.  

A small percentage of people with PMR can and do then get GCA, however it is a small percentage, just watch out for those symptoms.

A few patients with 'just' pmr and one of them includes a very close friend of mine who ran into problems with the toes turning red and then blue and after seeing her GP and telling him she had been asked to ask to see a Vascular Surgeon, yes it turns out she has vasculitis (never had GCA)  and is having an artery in the groin seen to this week.

Don't be worried, just be careful.

• Posted

The actual translation of PAR is "many painful muscles due to inflammation ".Maybe vasculitis would come in if you also had GCA-but I do not know
  • Posted

Bob, GCA, the linked conditin to PMR, definitely comes under the vasculitis umbrella but the jury is still out as far as PMR is concerned, as Lodger has said.

​I have had both PMR and GCA, both now in remission, but I do have lingering signs of vasculitis symptoms in that my toes become red and inflamed from time to time.  My podiatrist is sure it is remnants of GCA.

​Yes, it's true that some autoimmune and inflammatory conditions under the vasculitis umbrella can lead to organ damage without correct treatment, but this is not the case with PMR, or at least I have never come across anyone yet who has succumbed to organ damage from PMR.  Of course, if the inflammation of PMR is left untreated, that can lead to all sorts of other nasties.

• Posted

Everyone is confused Bob, but the upside is that PMR is generally not as serious as GCA and, for this reason, usually half the dosage of prednisolone is required in its treatment. It could well be that, to a minor extent, PMR patients might have  inflammation of their arteries but no-one is likely to find out about this unless it causes serious illness and investigation discovers this is so. Arms and legs can be affected for instance and blood pressure checks on all 4 limbs should be conducted as well as testing the pulses in the arms and legs and head areas. Patients with PMR usually only find out to their dismay that their arteries are inflammed when the narrow arteries in their head are affected as this is rather obviously very painful and happens quite quickly. Not much is known about these illnesses and I suspect that is why they often don't receive the best of care. I had PMR for about 6 years and managed, with difficulty, with rub on anti-inflammatory creams and a £100 massaging machine. One weekend, it flared up very badly and was accompanied by GCA symptoms which I was unable to manage myself so I had to accept prednisolone at this point despite my reluctance earlier. I wonder if I had taken the predenisolone earlier, it might have spared my the GCA which has been a terrible experience.   
    • Posted

If my experience is anything to go by, the answer to your question at the end of your post is "Yes".  I had a severe level of PMR that saw me bedbound for many months but remained undiagnosed.......until different symptoms arrived 12 months later and PMR was finally diagnosed along with GCA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.