PMR, Prednisone, acid reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am trying to control a flare...taking 9m of prednisone for the last two weeks, about to do a slow taper back to 7-1/2. For the first time in my life I had acid reflux. I had eaten a moderate size dinner and went to bed. Is this a prednisone side-effect? What should I do?

could the elevated level of pred have caused this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If it hadn't happened before at higher doses there is no reason for it to happen now, though that's not to say it isn't. It could be coincidence - most people have the occasional touch of indigestion as they get older. However, do take your pred with food, in the middle of the meal and try using something like gaviscon - and if that doesn't work then try ranitidine/Zantac which you can get OTC from the chemist. It is just an older drug that does the same as omeprazole but with fewer/different side effects.

• Posted

Thank you...will buy some Zantac t have on hand. Guess lying down on a full stomach is not something I typically do!
  • Posted

Did you lay down soon after eating?.....need to stay upright at least two hours

after eating....I've found that anything tomato based gives me problems and

chocolate is another cause.....I quit taking omprazole because of side

effects (doc never told me) and now take famotadine.   I double up on

the 20mg and it works well.

• Posted

What side effects did you have on omprazal? I take it everyday and have been for years without a problem.
    • Posted

Look it up on Mayo Clinic..  My understanding is that omprazole

is not good for your bones....I already have osteoporosis probably

from pred and didn't want to make it worse.

• Posted

Wow I have osteopenia. I wonder if it's because I've been taking that drug. Plus my mom and my grandma and her mom all had osteoporosis really bad you know with the humpback and everything. I'm taking calcium and vitamin D. So I don't know what else I can do but I have such bad reflux that I have to take something.

• Posted

I talked to my primary about omprezole last visit and he was willing

to give me a new script but I didn't have it filled.   I take famotadine

and have read in the forum that zantac is okay.   They are different

from the PPI's and I buy the 20mg famotadine and take two.

• Posted

There are a few other nutritional things you can doto help with the bone thinning, as calcium and D3 on their own really aren't enough.  Make sure you are also getting sufficient magnesium, Vitamin K and Vitamin K2 (almost certainly will have to supplement this one as hard to get enough in our modern Western diet) and a a few other things, usually available just through a normal healthy well-balanced diet.  Food sources of calcium go well beyond dairy and include the usual suspects, many although not all leafy greens for example.  Don't rely on liquid milk, as fermented products like yoghurt, kefir, some hard cheeses, brie, are apparently better, as are other fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, etc., for our general health.  Weight bearing exercise is important, walking, Nordic walking and tai chi are all helpful.

• Posted

I agree with Faye.  All I can really manage just before bed is something like a small bowl of my cereal substitute (a product containing seeds) with milk, or a banana or something like thatplus calcium supplement.  Lying down after a full meal is a no no.

• Posted

I just had the same happen to me and I am at similar level 6mg... but I attribute it to my mistake of taking pred on empty stomach. I always have 75-100grams of plain yogurth before pred and never had issue in the past. It was very late (1:30am ) and was probably half asleep.  Although I realized the mistake, and took some food afterwards, I had indigestion in early morning hours. Had to get up and take some milk and some mild chinese medication for indigestion.

• Posted

I know it's not always easy but if you have a good breakfast and take your meds during this time, and only eat over a 10 hour period - example breakfast at 8 am, lunch at 12/1 o'clock then dinner at 6/7 pm - and not eat anything after that and going to bed at least 3 hours after.  I have found keeping a regular pattern is a great help as the body then knows what's happening!  I also exercise after dinner not energetic but maybe a gentle walk even if it's only for 10/15 mins helps the digestive system.

Hope this helps? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.