PMR, Prednisone, hair loss, treated with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diognosed with PMR and have been taking Predizone for over a year and taking a high dose 30mg then tappered as doctor directed to eventually down to 2.5 a day.  This regiment was ongoing for over a year.  Now finally, I am off the Predizone and doing well regarding PMR.   However, for about three months I have noticed much hair loss to my already thin hair.  Thankfully no bald spots, just hair loss, dry, and very thining strands.  What really helped me was using Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.   I heated it until it was melted and warm then applied it to my hair for several minutes before shampooing and conditioning.  It really took the brittle/dry hair and made it soft and more manageable.  I have continued to do this before every shampoo. I've only been off Prednisone for two weeks, but I am hopeful my hair will grow back to its previous volume as per other people have testified.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello francie, so pleased you are feeling so well. Thanks so much for the tip. When I was in my 20's i always used coconut oil to condition my hair, i got the tip from a black woman up the road whose hair always looked so shiney and beautiful. Currently not had any problems re my hair but will definately start using again if the situatuation was to change. Regards, tina

• Posted

Thanks for telling us this, Francie--I finished with the pred about a month or so ago and of course am verging (almost) on baldness. Like you, hair is thin and dry. 

Q: where would I get this extra virgin coconut oil? Thanks and lots of luck in coming days--

Barbara Y.

• Posted

I understand your plight and I pray you may regain your hair growth.   In the US we have Trader Joe's, and Costco are the cheapest.   But also can get it at just about any grocery store.  

• Posted

If you don't find it with regular foods, check the natural foods section.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.