PMR returned

Posted , 4 users are following.

I would be very grateful for some advise.

I am 59 years old and was diagnosed with pmr and giant cell 8 years ago and i managed to get off steroids a few years ago.

In the last few months all the symptoms of prm are here again (luckily not giant cell).

I am stiff in my shoulders, neck and back, which lasts all day. I cannot get up from sitting and cannot move in bed.

My blood results have always been normal. Within 3 days of steroids i am a 'new chick' again.

My problem is taking steriods with covid about. Do you i should go with the stiffness and ride it out?

Taking steroids has left me with cataracts and weak muscles.

I really do not know what to do.

Angelina

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What dose of pred are you taking? Personally I'd go with quality of life.

If you go to HealthUnlocked the PMRGCAuk community, you will find a much more active forum where you'll get lots more opinions! Sorry I can't post a link.

• Posted

Take your pred!!! I've taken it all through Covid as have all the other people with PMR on this forum

https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk

where all former members of this forum now meet since this forum became unusable and then, as a result, almost inactive. If they don't notify users of new posts - no-one visits.

• Posted

I've been off steroids and on HCQ for 10+ years for PMR dx. It has its own long term negative side effects, particularly at higher doses. I actually stopped taking it mid 2020 for about a year because of some issues (one naturopath asked me why) and making other changes to get healthy. I have subsequently resumed at a lower dose. It doesn't get rid of all the pain and stiffness but it is at a tolerable level and it is more than enough to work as a prophylactic for COVID.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.