pmr, symptons in am and symptons in evening

Posted , 9 users are following.

well i am trying to understand, why when you are having a flare, relapse, side affects, whatever, is pain and stiffness in shoulders, and buttocks, hamstrings etc, very bad in am on awakening, subside few hrs after up( all the time you are still on pred, 20 mg right now) feel semi normal through day other than overwhelming fatigue on days, then,later in evening, symptons return, is the pred you are taking in morning only taking inflammation down for few hrs in the day, although i was told, or read, it,s fighting inflammation for 24 hrs, ?

0 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just a quick reply since I'm fatigued too. I find splitting my dose controls my pain. On 20mg i took 15 mg am and 5mg at 3pm.

How long have you been on prednisone?

Has your pain ever gone away?

Not all of us split dosrs but for those of us it truly works.

Mariane

• Posted

only been on pred,since oct 12, on 40 mg then, and tapered since then ,as dr ordered down to 20 , about 12 days ago, saw rheumy past monday nov 7, wasn,t too bad then, so she said stay on 20 for couple weeks, make sure i felt ok, tolerated at that dose, and if ok, go down to 17.5, left her office, felt ok, so went shopping, wandering mall , for almost 4 hrs, got home, just tired, but tues am woke at 4 with symptons much like the beginning of this condition which was in , and again this am , woke at 5 , shoulders hurt on moving, buttocks, hamstrings, but pain subsided after couple hrs, even tonight, not bad, don,t know if it was due to fact i was out for so long, haven,t done that in few weeks, at any rate, last night , had some discomfort in evening, not so much tonight? so,not sure what that was all about, or if i,ll wake with sore shoulders tomorrow am, don,t understand
    • Posted

It is a very simple equation: If you do too much PMR will turn round and bite back. Almost everyone on the forums will tell you that!
  • Posted

Ive been on 20mg for a week now and it seems that it is my correct starting dose .I too, have been waking up after only about 4 hours of sleep with quite severe shoulder pain. I think I started experimenting with the way I took the preds too early in the game without really "listening" to my body so it really didnt make a difference.Now Im considering splitting the dose to see if I can sustain feeling 70% the most amount of time possible and avoid waking up so sore..

I thought I knew my body well till I got PMR!

• Posted

Ive been on 20mg for a week now and it seems that it is my correct starting dose .I too, have been waking up after only about 4 hours of sleep with quite severe shoulder pain. I think I started experimenting with the way I took the preds too early in the game without really "listening" to my body so it really didnt make a difference.Now Im considering splitting the dose to see if I can sustain feeling 70% the most amount of time possible and avoid waking up so sore..

I thought I knew my body well till I got PMR!

• Posted

hello mimi, well im seeing gp tomorrow, may ask about splitting,morning and afternoon, although he said he is not the expert in this field, but won,t get to see rheumy that quickly
    • Posted

I think its very personal and there is no one better than yourself to know the otimal way of taking the prednisone. I recently went to the rheumi, kind of scared that I had upped my dose from 15 to 20mgs but if you are just splitting the dose, I dont think you need the doc's permission.

My husband is a doc who keeps blaming every change in symptoms on my iniciatives.I wish I could find a GP or a rheumi that admits to not knowing much about the condition instead of pretending to be some PMR expert! I think ive learned on here that the most important thing is to learn the best way to live with the symptoms by finding the optimal way of taking tbe preds, budgeting our energy and learning to distinguish between a flare up, over exertion or relapse, etc. I hope it gets easier with time!

• Posted

Having a husband as a doctor has got to be both frustrating and advantageous. Do you use him for all your medical needs or do you see other doctors and just consider him a husband?

My husband is a pest control operator. In fact we own our own business but can I get him to spray the house when it needs it? It's a battle. And he thinks he knows more then I do about

it even though I used to do pest control before I hurt my back. Not quite the same situation as yours but similar.

• Posted

Well, with the PMR, it has been a huge disadvantange. My husband has been in denial about my PMR fo months saying I had depression, myasthenia gravis and anything else, so long as it didn't require streroids. He knew what I had and deliberately steered me away from thinking it was PMR. At one point he said he had never in his 45 years of practice seen anyone with tbe kind of symptoms I was complaining about.. I was so frustrated, I could have strangled him. He gets really stressed when one of the kids or I are ill. Today our oldest son (43) had surgey to repare a torn pectoral muscle. My husband kept telling my son not to get the surgery and when the surgeon finished, he looked for my husband to tell him it had gone well and he was no where to be found. He was probably hiding.. 😂😂

It has taken me over a month on predisone and reading every post on this forum to learn to distinguish between PMR symptoms and how you feel after you do more activity than your muscles can stand. I even thought that maybe I had something else rather than PMR. Over exerting the muscles, I have found, bring on much worse pain than PMR without the pred. So now if a walk for 20 minutes, I rest fo 20 before walking back and it seems to help.

• Posted

And it would probably be even better probably if you did 15 walk/15 rest/15 walk/15 rest/15 walk! Makes planning the park bench or cafe a bit more complex though...
    • Posted

That'll teach me to edit and not read it properly!!!!!

• Posted

Mimi, I've been on pred for about 17 months.  For about the last six months or so I've had a lot more pain when I walk than I ever did before.  In fact, I don't remember having pain in particular once I got moving prediagnosis.  Then it was all about getting started and the first few steps.  Now, however, the pain picks up, and is worst when climbing hills.  I may not live in the mountains like Eileen, but I do live in a hilly city - glacial drumlins from the Ice Age!  And sometimes I think I'm just going to slow down so much I'll lose my momentum and not get to the top. I've been assuming this is caused by prednisone weakening muscles, as I've very little to no PMR-like pain and stiffness. 

• Posted

I need to think about that.  I guess I'd say in the muscles throughout both legs, sometimes the hips become involved but not always.  I don't have this when I'm just puttering around the house or yard, mostly when climbing, sometimes, but not always, during a longish walk on the level - only I've become really aware of slight rises which I wasn't really sensible of before in my healthy days so perhaps not so level after all.  I toil up a slope, then pick up the pace going down the other side.  Like a car that doesn't have enough power to easily navigate a hill.

• Posted

It happens to me occasionaly - but then, I am walking at over 800m. It desn't seem to be anything like as noticeable when I'm walking up hills at sea level.

• Posted

Of course I live at sea level.  Maybe in both our cases it's something to do with oxygen supply, which is connected to circulation?  The pain I get I originally described to myself as a burning sensation, although now that it seems to be part of my life I tend not to notice the discomfort itself anymore, more troubled by the difficulty in achieving my goal of getting to the top of the hill.  Any pain vanishes as soon as I stop the exertion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.