Pneumonia

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mom is a 66 year old who was recently diagnosed with ALL B cell. She was treated with methotrexate. It did a number on her...  She got fluid around her heart, in her lungs, and her kidneys and liver weren't functioning normally. After about a month in the hospital, she finally got realeased. The methotrexate took weeks to get out of her body.  Although she was discharged, she's still experiencing shortness of breath, weakness, and coughing all night long. Her recent chest X-ray still shows some cloudiness. She's about to start her next chemo cycle (not methotrexate), but I'm nervous since she never seemed to rebound. Is this normal? Is this permanent?  

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey

Sorry to hear bout your mum.

I am 73 &have been on Metho.since 2012.I dont rate it,I think it does more harm than goof.Its given initially cause its cheapest.Mine has recently been reduced due to problems with infections.They have now given me Sulfasalazine for Rheum.Arthritis,so much better.What have they now given ure mum?

• Posted

They say for leukemia there's no alternative to methotrexate. She is scheduled to get it again on December 4.  This time they are giving her only half the dose. 

• Posted

Hi Stacey, I don't wish to worry you but be very careful where methotrexate causes problems with breathing!  This happened with my dad and (although I know his was an extreme case) it ended up being fatal for him.  If so please get a second opinion, or at least make sure that your mum's lung function is monitored very often and thoroughly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.