Pneumothorax and Coronavirus?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a SP back in 2011 . Was in Highschool then, hospitalized 10 days, VATS surgery fixed me up, whole nine yards. Given the new virus outbreak, it has me wondering if we should be taking extra precaution to avoid the virus than someone of the same demographic who has not had an SP, given that it can lead to pneumonia. Of course washing hands and avoiding large gatherings should be heeded by everyone that can, but are those of us who have had SP at higher risk? I thankfully haven't had any collapses since my first and haven't had much in the way of symptoms/after effects since the first month or two of healing.

TL;DR Are we more susceptible?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have had 5 SP on Left and 1 SP on Right. I had Bullectomy Pleurodesis on my left in May 2019 and my had SP on my Right in August 2019. I have recently been to see my doctor, they have advised I am im the "at risk" category and have recommended working from home and reduce social life where possible. This Coronavirus is giving me anxiety.

• Posted

Sorry for such a late comment, I haven't been checking this site as much as I used to. I had VATS surgery on my right side because of recurring collapses. My left is untouched but has blebs, knock on wood nothing has happened so far. I asked my doctor and was told I was considered "at risk" and I see Chelsea said the same. I am healthy as far as I know and personally think if you are and got sick, more than likely would be fine. I'd assume its just precaution but I'm also not a doctor. I am listening to their advice though and got out of work using the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. I hope you are healthy and staying safe!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.