Pneumothorax Recurrence

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have had two pneumothoraxes separated about 4 1/2 years apart. The first Pneumo was about 90% collapse and the second pneumo 50% collapse. The cardio-thoracic surgeon gave me the option on whether or not to get the pleurodesis surgery. So against my better judgement, I decided to take the risk and not get the surgery. I was on the fence. Has anyone had a second pneumothorax and didn't have a third, without getting pleurodesis? Do you think it was foolhardy of me to be optimistic about not getting a third pneumothorax? 

Thank you for your thoughts. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yours were so far apart. That’s what is different here. Because you had your second now, it might be worth it to pursue the surgery because the odds of it happening again are much higher now. The way I see it is if you have a chest tube in right now, get the surgery. If you do not have the chest tube, then do not get it. This was the criteria I used for my second one and I did not get the surgery. A month later my lung collapsed though and I ended up getting the surgery based on the criteria aforementioned. 
  • Posted

It depends on the cause of the collapses in my opinion but I have had both lungs collapse and had surgery on both. I choose to believe it wont happen again but never say never.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.