Polio left leg

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had polio left leg and hip, total paralysis, for many yrs, got it at age 2, now am 61. Wear kafo, long leg brace and use crutches to ambulate. Always been active until recently, pain in left hip. Cant seem to walk much at all now without pain. Does anyone know of a doctor in Florida that has extensive knowledge with polio patients?

I think the pain is from extensive use all these years. Had an xray done with ortho doc, he suggested minor arthritis beginning.. have tried aleve but doesnt seem to help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen,

You are right, the pain is probably from extensive use for so many years. If you read a few post's from others, there is one that said that our thirty year warranty ran out. I feel like although I had some pain my entire life, it got much worse at or near the 30 year mark. I couldn't function much at all so after 30 or more years of nothing stronger than Tylenol, I had to join pain clinic. It took awhile to get the right level of meds so I wasn't really messed up but finally got it right so now I can tolerate what pain I have. I'm in California so can't help find Dr in Florida. It seems that as more time passes the less doctors u can find that know a lot about polio. Check hospitals to see if they have any research about polio. Good luck

• Posted

Hello Karen,

I cannot help you about Florida doctors, but I know how difficult it is to find one here with any knowledge of polio and PPS, post polio syndrome which many of us now live with.  My @good@ leg now also has arthritis from all the extra use.  I took a huge amount of painkillers, until my doctor gave me pregabalin - it has really helped aleviate pain so much, I find it quite wonderful - maybe your usual doctor would prescribe it for you.  We will try anything (almost) to help - pain just wears you out and makes one so tired as well.

My very best wishes to you,  Marion x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.