polycystic ovary syndrome

Posted , 7 users are following.

i was told i had polycystic ovary syndrome about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I am 23 years old. I am finding it hard to loss the weight. And just feel like i'm never gonna be able to have a baby. As both me and my husband don't want to much older when we have kids. I feel down about it all as people around us are having a baby or not long had one. Doctors have just said to keep trying. My husband has not shown any emotions about the suitation. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed at 13 with PCOS im now 22, I still havent been able to lose as much weight as they want me too, it is incredibly hard, I have even been stupid enough to starve myself and after a week id only lost 1lb, you can ask for help with this, after all PCOS causes weight gain due to the hormonal imbalances, I know its so difficult to feel happy for people, even now nearly 10 years after diagnosis I still find myself resenting people on the street for having a baby and I havent got one, Remember it has only been a few weeks, I know it all feels like its the end and that there's not much point anymore but you must remember that this is not youre fault, nothing you have done has caused this, unfortunatley nearly 10 years on they still dont know what causes PCOS they believe it could be genetic carried down from the fathers genes, thats just one theory ive been told though, As for your husband he will need time to adjust to it, I know its very tempting to be angry with him for not talking about it but he probably feels a bit helpless as there isnt anything he can do, all the two of you can do is be there for eachother and be stong, it gets easier to cope with and remember as well that having PCOS doesnt mean you can never have a baby, it may just take longer and you may need help with it, but its not the end of the line, plus youre only 23 you have many many years to have a baby, keep strong and upbeat though, if youre finding you cant though speak to your dr about it as depression is a symptom of PCOS. Good Luck smile
  • Posted

Hi, I also found out that I had PCOS last year mid of July. After I had an ectopic pregnancy. I am currently 24 and married. I was 10-11 weeks pregnant and I did not know. I have always had irregular period (maybe every 2-4 months or so). However, when I had my period on june for a 7 days it was so painful. later a week I was bleeding again thinking it was my period I did not gave it importance until I let a month go on bleeding.I was pregnant and my baby was growing on my left follopian tube. My left tube was removed. It was hard for both of us. And also my husband did not show any emotions and I would tell him to talk to me. It was rough he made some bad decision in not talking to me and talking to someone else (friend girl at work that fell in love with him). I was hurt a lot. but We are working things out. It is better for husbands to talk than let it biuld up and explode. Communication is very important. My husband and I want to get pregnant and do not want to be much older when we do. I have talked to my doctor and she prescribed me birth control pills and that helped me get by periond every month. I was even loosing wieght, but the donwside was that I was depressed. SO I stopped taking them since October hoping my period would regularize. But ever since I still have not had my period for 4 months and I am not pregnant and I have gained weight. I treid going gluten free for a month and nothing. I tried taking teas. (I also found out that when I travel my period came and I believe is because of the diet) So my husband and I have decided to go back on the pill and try to regularize my period and keep on eating healthy and hopefully we will get pregnant. Like other couples on the pill have. Do not loose hope eveything is possible. And tell your husband what your needs are. Tell him to trust you. A lot of time the husband feel is his responsibility to be strong and not show feeling but the truth is that men also have feelings and it is allowed to be expressed especially to their other half. Good luck wish you the best.

-Fran

• Posted

My daughter, now 27, has pcos , it took four years of ups/downs and what ifs and if nots to eventually fall pregnant, I now have two extremely beautiful granddaughters, so keep the faith, it will happen for you too hopefully xxx
  • Posted

I know how you feel, I have had people around me that didnt want to have kids and have had them, didnt plan them, didnt take contraception. Not saying they're bad parents its just frustrating when Im struggling.

I have recently come across inositol. its supposidly a good supplement to help women with pcos with weightloss. not just weightloss but also ovulations, general all round fertility health. Ive been told i need to get down to 11stone to get pregnant - my eyes. 

So instead im making healthy lifestyle diet changes, so healthy swaps. and then hopefully it wont need to be such a drastic weight loss as my body is healthty

• Posted

Hi sweetie. I was in my 20's when I was diagnosed with PCOS and Endometriosis. I'm now 44. Like you, everybody around me seemed to having babies and it tore me apart. Treatment 20 years ago was nothing like they have now and therefore, I was unable to have children. My husband and I went through IVF in 2006, which didn't end well. It took me a long time to accept, but I have a wonderful husband and 2 gorgeous furry daughters!!! Nowadays, the treatment they can offer you is so much better. It's difficult for your husband to express his emotions. My husband would've loved children, but he kept that to himself because I was beating myself up enough about not being able to give him a child. He used to say 'if we can have a child, great, if not, we'll have each other'. Your husband will support you either way. All the talk of gynaecologists and womens bits is hard for a man to take in, but he will be there for you. Just don't expect him to totally understand how you feel, I think as a woman with PCOS, only you completely understand how you feel inside. 

I wish you all the luck in the world. It's tough and a horrible condition, but as I said, there is so much more they can do these days.

• Posted

Hi Sophie, try not to feel too negative about your pcos! I'm 27 and was told age 21 I had pcos I was also told that it was very unlikely I would fall pregnant not only had I been diagnosed with the pco, at 18 I had undergone 6 months intense chemotherapy for hodgkins lymphoma disease which is a cancer of lymph nodes. The chemotherapy killing a lot of eggs during this period. When I met my partner now my husband I told him I couldn't have children so as our relationship went on we were not overly careful with contraception and a year down the line found out I was pregnant I carried full term actually he was a week over due had no problems during pregnancy slight tricky labour but had a very healthy boy weighing 8lb 13oz. So I believe you should always have hope don't give up on your body yet your still young! We r trying for a 2nd baby now and have been for 6 months so I know how you feel with regards to feeling like everyone around you are having babies apart from you but the more obsessive you are about it and worrying you do the more tense you are and the less likely hood of it happening! With regards to your partner not showing much emotion regarding your situation I think this is pretty normal my husband does not say much either about our wait so far I think men r unsure what to say and worried they will say the wrong thing and also are not naturally maternal so will not have that huge needing feeling like we do for a baby they just like the thought.

Anyway keep your chin up there's plenty of time yet and when your baby arrives he or she will be extra special because you and your partner had to be very patient!

I did find weight loss has helped me a lot too tho so try your best it's hard but worth it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.