Polyneuropathy, foot drop, can't walk properly and I'm only 19!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy (with electromyography) a couple years ago but I've probably had it for more than 5 years...

So the main problem is that I can't raise my feet (can't dorsiflex) and my right tibialis anterior is almost atrophied. Lately I've noticed i can't raise my right toe at all (which I could a couple months ago) and I think it's getting worse as time passes.

I remember when I was a kid I was the fastest runner in my class... now I can barely walk properly.

Doctors said there's nothing I can do about it except exercising (swimming). However, I've been active my whole life (swimming, basketball and now weightlifting and swimming) and it didn't really seem to help.

They've also done genetic tests on my mom who seems to me like she has a weaker dorsiflexion than my dad but they couldn't find anything (they searched 2 or 3 genes).

Is there anything I can do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to add that my feet have a high arch.

Also that my hamstrings are pretty tight and very weak relatively to my quads and that my lower back is very flexible and can bend on the front a lot.

I'm pretty muscular and strong but my lower back seems to be getting fatigued pretty easily. For example I can't keep my back straight for longer than a few minutes while staying on chair without something behind me to rest on (if that makes any sense).

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Have you been seeing a Neurologist? I would check to see if I could be referred to a good Physical Therapist who knows how to work with peripheral neuropathy. You may need other exercises to strengthen your core. A good PT can work with you and help strengthen other areas to help your body adapt better to its deficits. I did exercises in the pool to strengthen my core and it helped me be able to stand without pain and build endurance so that I could do other activities better. I was a pretty fast runner too and have had to accept a change with that but that doesn't mean that I don't believe I can improve. Maybe talk to your neurologist or get a second opinion. Maybe the right medication could help you along with the right PT. Hopefully you will find a way to better manage it so you can do more of the things that you love to do.
  • Posted

My husband has also foot drop,  he's seen a neurologist a couple of years ago, but at that stage it was unclonclusive. He didn't go back for further tests, he thought it was no point because they can't do anything about it.

If yours is definaltely not due to a pinched nerve or something they can fix, than unfortunatley there is not much you can do. 

For ​the foot drop my husband wears a foot brace.

For maintaining your fitness, you could do low impact exercises, cycling, swimming. 

You can also get a nerve simulator, tense machine. 

A physiotherapist probably won't be able to help you, he could just advise you on different type of exercises. 

Unfortunately doctors are still in the dark when it comes to neurology, but keep checking, you never know they might find something new.

• Posted

That's sad and really frustrating in my everyday life.

What have I done to deserve this kind of punishment?

I guess it's not that bad if I keep reminding myself that there are people with problems a lot worse than mine.

Anyway thanks and if anyone has anything else to add please feel free to do so!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.