Positive dipstick leukocytes +3, negative culture..help!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had many health issues in my life. Those include immunodeficiency disorder, polycystic ovarian syndrome, chronic pancreatitis, pancreatic exocrine insufficiency, TMD, a cholesteotoma (since removed, but chronic ear infections), etc.

I am now 21 years old with everything mentioned above but something new started happening two years ago: kidney infections. I never have the symptoms most women do with the burning sensation or painful urination; never have bloody urine. The only time I am aware of a UTI is when it has moved into my kidneys. I do have to urinate more during those times which I suppose is my one signal before it goes to my kidneys but it all happens very quickly from when I notice frequency to kidney pain. I also always have horrible flank pain starting in my left side then shortly moving to both sides, high fever (101-102), dizziness, occasional nausea/vomiting, sometimes chills (but not always.)

So about two years ago, I had four double kidney infections within six months. My GP always gave me an antibiotic (mainly Keflex, Cipro was used once before I had a major reaction to it) based on the high leokocytes in the dipstick. I responded to the antibiotics and got well, but when the culture came back it was ALWAYS negative. I had a few months after that where I had bacterial vaginitis mimicking kidney so I always visit my gynecologist now prior to starting antibiotics (some for kidney infections can make BV worse). Of the now 10 infections I've had in two years, only two wound up being BV mimicking kidney. The others I was on Keflex and got better despite the culture being negative. My gynecologist says she treats on symptoms as opposed to culture because it isn't always accurate bacteria showing up in every urination.

Fast forward to today. I have been battling a kidney infection for about a month. I ignored it the first two weeks with a 102 fever before finally caving and going to see my gyno to make sure it wasn't BV. It wasn't and the dipstick had a +3 for leukocytes. She put me on Keflex. For the first time, Keflex did not make me all better. It lessened the pain from a 9 on a scale of 10 to a 6 or 7 but the pain and frequency was still there. Now, two weeks since my last dose of Keflex, I am beginning to feel worse again. I called a urologist who are working me in as an emergency appointment this Tuesday and they ordered another UA and culture this last Wednesday. The dipstick was at +2 for leukocytes but the culture came back negative. They are not going to put me on antibiotics (probably because I'm a new patient and they haven't had my history yet) and said to keep the Tuesday appointment.

I am so frustrated and feeling sick. I still have a fever (Keflex did lower it from 102 to around 100) and I ALWAYS run low, in mid-high 97s. So if I'm at a 99 or 100, that's higher than for most people. I don't understand why the leukocytes on dipsticks are always positive when I am experiencing kidney pain but the culture can come back negative. Since antibiotics always worked up until now, I understood treating me based on symptoms. But since this past time Keflex only improved my condition shortly by 35-40% (my body maybe worked up immunity to it?) I don't know what to do.

What type of questions should I be asking the urologist on Tuesday? What does a positive dipstick mean but negative culture? Why have antibiotics still worked despite the negative culture? Is it truly a kidney infection the antibiotics are curing or is it something else mimicking kidney infections? What else can mimic kidney infections? Please help. I feel so lost and confused on this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh..the reason I am only on Keflex is because I am allergic to most AB's. Amoxicillin, augmentin, penicillin, sulfa, trazadone, toradol, fentanyl, flagyl, and ciprofloxacin.

• Posted

And I also get cloudy urine (forgot to mention that too in the main post--wish we could edit the original post!)
    • Posted

I also have psoriasis and every time I have symptoms of a double kidney infection, it flares up (which it is noted happens if you have kidney issues..another reason the culture results still don't make sense to me.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.