Possible 2nd OB - When to take meds?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all - so I had my first OB about 4 weeks ago. Took 10 days of Valtrex and it cleared up after about 2 wks. Last night I started to feel a slight tingle & itch, same again today. Not in any pain and no sores yet, but something feels a little off.

I'm just not sure when, or if, to get more Valtrex. Should I wait to see if it actually IS an OB, as in wait for any sores. So taht then I'd at least know that this feeling is the onset of one for the future. Obviously it won't be ideal that I'll have to go through that pain again but at least I would know the symptoms for future. Or does this sound typical of the onset of an outbreak and I should take the tablets ASAP?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Personally, I would do the first, otherwise you won't know, plus it might not amount to anything. Even if it does, it could well be very mild. Since I'm single and sexless, lol, I haven't taken the meds for exactly that reason: to better know how it starts, if it does at all, and to see what my recurrences are like.

A couple or so were so mild I wasn't even sure that they were recurrences, and the one that was a definite recurrence when I had a bad cold was quite bearable, despite resulting in a rather nasty single lesion. It's a personal choice at the end of the day.

• Posted

Yeah that was my logic... I just dread the thoughts of the pain of going the bathroom for the next 2 weeks if I get a full blown OB again! Am very disheartened that I only really got 2 weeks proper relief if this does progress into one. I had hoped I'd be one of the few who never breaks out again! :-(
    • Posted

None of my maybe recurrences or the definite one hurt to pee like the first outbreak. That is usually only with the first outbreak for most people. No swollen lymph nodes or anything else either. Just felt a bit sore to varying degrees when I wiped. Even the nasty pus-like lesion I had (worst one to date) only felt sore when I wiped. Didn't notice it otherwise. Hopefully the sensations you are feeling won't amount to anything, or if they do, nothing worse than what I've experienced so far.
    • Posted

P.S. Everyone is admittedly different, but the first outbreak really is the worst for most people. I also hoped I wouldn't get any recurrences, so it's a blow when you do, but if they continue to be this mild and not too often, it's not so bad physically.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.