Possible atrophic rhinits? Please help, my strength is running out.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, following what was supposed to be bad tooth maxillary sinus infection, I developed horrific secondary sinusitis and now a condition that has me almost suicidal. I took antibiotics, antihistamines, nasal steroid spray and sinupret for over a month. When I stopped the meds. I also used saline spray, all to no avail. When I stopped using the meds, I had episodes of excruciating burning pain in my sinuses nose and ears and congestion which resulted in 2 ER visits and numerous doctors not knowing what is going on. At the moment, I have no mucus in my nose or sinuses, I suffer from burning pain and dryness in my nose ears and sinuses, they feel like open roomy cavities. My mucosa is so sensitive that every breath hurts, as does my throat when the cold and dry air lands on it. I can't sleep dues to pain, I'm signed off work and on pregabalin for pain. Can anyone offer insight on what may be going on? ENT said I may have vestibulitis, but the burning is not just at the entry of my nose, but inside the sinuses too. I can feel every bit of thicker mucus moving, and it has to be swallowed forefully. Basically, I feel like all the lining of my mucosa is damaged. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to read you're suffering Anna, possibly it's the nasal decongestant 

that's caused your linings to become inflamaaed, they can do that if over used.

Just keep using the saline nasal rinse.  Thick mucus is horrible and so hard

to swallow.  Try hot water inhalation too, may help loosen and thin the mucus.

Also drink plenty of water, as that too thins mucus.

Sinusitis once it's got hold is so hard to get rid of.  Maybe you're ready for a

course of antibiotics, just to see if they help.  Have done for me in the past.

Feel better soon

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.