Possible colitis and scared

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've had rectal bleeding on and off for the past 8 weeks I've been examined by 2 drs who both said they could see the bleeding and diagnosed internal piles .at the start I had all the piles symptoms which eased over a few weeks .I have also had mucus without stools .I saw another dr 2 weeks ago who took a stool sample and ordered blood tests but she said she still thought it was piles but wanted to put my mind at rest as I was worried .the stool sample came back with a high ph which I'm told can mean an inflamation. I now have to have a colonoscopy as they think I may have colitis or crohns .I'm so worried. I have looked at the symptoms of both but the only symptoms I have are the bleeding and mucus , my stools are formed in have no weight loss and have no pain .help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's easy to say, but the colonoscopy should discover any problems, if there are any at all. For me it was a simple procedure. I would respectfully advise you to avoid using Dr Google. I found it caused me a lot of anxiety.  Best wishes. 

• Posted

Thank you !! I do need to avoid dr Google it's really not helping .is the colonoscopy as bad as I've read ?

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Im 21 and have been diagnosed with have indeterminate colitis after a colonoscopy. I had this done unsedated as i wanted to be alert enough should anything serious be shown on screen. I can tell you i found it only  mildly uncomfortable at certain points like a real intense cramping pain that intensified then disappeared as the endoscopist negotiated the bends in the colon. I had biopsies taken which felt like a flick inside youre amdomen but werent painful at all. I found the actual bowel prep the day before much worse than the actual procedure. I am much like yourself and googled a lot of my symptoms and try read up about everything online first, which only actually increases anxiety. In hindsight im glad i went for the unsedated option as i was able to go home pretty much immediately afterwards. I as given the option of sedation at anypoint in the procedure if things got too uncomfortable but never ever got to that point.

Ben

• Posted

Hi Ben thanks for your reply . I too want to be awake for it .I'm pleased it wasn't too uncomfortable I have heard the prep isn't pleasant. I really do need to stop looking online but it's easier said than done .

• Posted

Mine was ok. Others find them difficult. But it's worth it! The prep was ok too. Keep us up to date when you can... Good luck! 

• Posted

I've had my appointment through which isn't until the 31st of October but at the bottom of the letter it says there will not be any treatment done on that day so looks like it's just for a consultation .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.