Possible Gallstones?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently had a lot of right side pain that radiated to my back and up to my shoulders, it started one morning then went away then came back at night and meant I did not really sleep so the next morning I took myself to A&E. They suggested that they thought it was Gallstones based on my symptoms and have referred me back to my GP to have an ultrasound done and in the mean time it's all about just keeping on top of the pain so I have been prescribed oramorph. I usually only take some at night as this is when the pain is at its worst. My worry is that the oramorph is going to run out before I even get in to have a scan with my GP and then what am I supposed to do as the pain at night is unbearable and paracetamol/ibuprofen does not touch it.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. I may be revealing my ignorance, but why are you worried about Oramorph running out? Is it a drug that can only be taken for a while?

FWIW I've found that the only thing to do if my GP hasn't got all bases covered is to phone, do E-Consults and generally nag for some help and/or clarification. I hate being a 'doctor botherer' but looks very much as if you should be getting a little more assistance from your GP surgery so needs must!

Incidentally, I think we are in the same boat (though hopefully you had had a scan in the 5 weeks since you posted). I too am waiting for an ultrasound due to similar pain. Generally speaking I find that tweaking my diet doesn't help anything ... but in this situation (quite severe pain, mainly right-sided) I have most definitely noticed that reducing the amount of fat I eat helps loads.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.