Post Bimalleolar ankle fracture surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello folks,

This is my first time on a forum so please excuse any typos. My surgery was on 1/18/23 tomorrow will be my 3rd week post surgery. I'm 56 years old, never had any broken bones in my life. unfortunately I had a sport accident that has led me here. I'm currently at a non bearing weight status with a boot and 2 crutches. I've been fortunate enough to not have had experienced much pain after surgery. My doctor says that I'm recovering very well at the 12 day post surgery visit. I'm following all recommendations from my physician to continue to recover quickly and safely! Here's where I'm struggling. Ever since my accident, I've been forced to use crutches to move around. I have to submit most or all my body weight to the right leg for support since the left ankle has been injured. I began to notice that my thigh muscle was starting to fatigue due to all the constant stress. I believe this muscle is called the " Vastus Lateralis". It's inflamed, somewhat swollen, numbness most of the time. It's worse at bed time when laying down. It's hard to describe the sensation, kind of like a cold burning feeling, and sometimes when I stretch the leg out I experience sharp shocking pain. My biggest concern is that at my post surgery visit I mentioned this to the physician and he was unsure what might be the cause and how to treat it. So just like most physicians they prescribed medication which is not the answer to everything and also did not address the problem. I've been trying ice bag compression directly on the muscle and it helps a bit but it has not resolved it. Has anyone experienced this condition and can share some possible explanations to the cause or how to address it? Right now this is more uncomfortable than the recovering ankle. Please help me !!! Thanks!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

your only 3 weeks since surgery. geezzz give you self and your body time to heal. it will all fall into place as the body heals. no one can rush or hurry healing. take your time its takes a lot of patience and soon it will all be past you. for treatment for ankle and muscles , walking in sand is the best way to gain back strength , flexibility and confidence .

• Posted

ive sustatined the same injury. Its been about 3 weeks since surgery. I know im rushing it but i juat wanna walk again. I need my normal life back. Im still young ish.Just difficult being a single mother.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.